• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon S

Jon S

Proofread

Does anyone own this or can suggest an alternative to this? If you own some, I'd love to hear your experience of their value (or lack thereof). I couldn't find any reference to them when searching eGullet, so sorry if this discussion has already been had.

Saw these from a video awhile back. It was J. Kenji López-Alt who I first saw using them.

I'm in central Texas and maybe these prices are affordable in the Bay Area but they’re are outrageous to me!

Tempted because it is a neat design which not only allows for stacking for creating more weight, but also "staggering" to create a larger area of coverage. Seems very functional, but I don't have much experience with using any press.

I figure it just helps you free a hand while pan searing meat so you don't have to press the meat yourself. Please educate me if you see it's uses beyond what is advertised. :)

8.oz = $14.00

13.oz = $19.00

https://www.thechefspress.com/shop

170603_Chefs_Press0380_HERO.jpg?format=1

Jon S

Jon S

Proofread

Does anyone own this or can suggest an alternative to this? If you own some, I'd love to hear your experience of their value (or lack thereof). I couldn't find any reference to them when searching eGullet, so sorry if this discussion has already been had.

Saw these from a video awhile back. It was J. Kenji López-Alt who I first saw using them.

I'm in central Texas and maybe these prices are affordable in the Bay Area but there are outrageous to me!

Tempted because it is a neat design which not only allows for stacking for creating more weight, but also "staggering" to create a larger area of coverage. Seems very functional, but I don't have much experience with using any press.

I figure it just helps you free a hand while pan searing meat so you don't have to press the meat yourself. Please educate me if you see it's uses beyond what is advertised. :)

8.oz = $14.00

13.oz = $19.00

Jon S

Jon S

I'm in central Texas and maybe these prices are affordable in the Bay Area but there are outrageous to me!

Tempted because it is a neat design which also allows for "staggering" to create a larger area of coverage. Seems very functional, but I don't have much experience with using any press.

I figure it just helps you free a hand while pan searing meat so you don't have to press the meat yourself.

8.oz = $14.00

13.oz = $19.00