• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

While at another topic about Chinese pickles and preserves, liuzhou just made me aware of this discussion.  The thing about Chinese jars is that that funny looking top is to put water in to form a kind of fermentation lock.  With the water and lid in place, the contents are protected from contact with outside air while letting gasses escape by bubbling out through the water.  I recently made one for my own use. Making a one-off  one on the potters wheel would take a few weeks, at least to complete.  That accounts for the price, I imagine, plus postage.  May I suggest a more practical way?  They make fermentation locks for wide mouth Mason jars for making kraut and other fermented vegetables. Do a search for fermentation locks.  The ones I have used are from Nourished Essentials.

20210708_065031.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

liuzhou just made me aware of this discussion.  The thing about Chinese jars is that that funny looking top is to put water in to form a kind of fermentation lock.  With the water and lid in place, the contents are protected from contact with outside air while letting gasses escape by bubbling out through the water.  I recently made one for my own use. Making a one-off  one on the potters wheel would take a few weeks, at least to complete.  That accounts for the price, I imagine, plus postage.  May I suggest a more practical way?  They make fermentation locks for wide mouth Mason jars for making kraut and other fermented vegetables. Do a search for fermentation locks.  The ones I have used are from Nourished Essentials.

20210708_065031.jpg