• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles as a component of American-Chinese restaurant meals

Anna N

Not wishing to take this off-topic but still hoping to to get an answer to my question, I decided to open another discussion.

I don’t have a huge knowledge bank of American/Canadian-Chinese restaurant food but I could swear on a stack of whatever  sacred  book you choose that I have never seen pickles on the menu. 

Yet if I order Korean food it will almost certainly come with a selection of banchan (pickles and preserves). 

is my experience unique? Do you find pickles offered on the menu from any hyphenated Chinese restaurants?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've never seen pickles on a standard American-Chinese restaurant.... however, every Sichuan restaurant here offers at least one kind of pickle.  The Hunan restaurant around the corner from me liberally uses pickled mustard greens as a condiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've never seen pickles on a standard American-Chinese restaurant.... however, every Sichuan restaurant here offers at least one kind of pickle.  The Hunan restaurant around the corner from me liberally uses pickled mustard greens as a condiment.

Like Kenneth, rarely seen in Hong Kong/Cantonese style places here, but every Sichuan and Hunanese place offers.  And there was a Shanghai place we used to frequent on the upper east side; it also had various pickles. Joe's Shanghai, for example, has the pretty standard spicy pickled cabbage on their menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Most of the high-end Chinese restaurants here in Costa Rica bring a small plate of pickled vegetables to nibble on while you were choosing your order. If I remember right, and it's been a long time, most of the restaurants in Seattle did the same. I don't remember ever actually seeing them on a menu.

• Like 1

Out here same experience with American-Chinese - no pickles.. Pickley little plates in the various regional Chinese restaurants - yes.  I don't think Korean, at least in L.A., in my experience, has become Americanized, so banchan mandatory. There are a few steam table mall ones but they are the bland exception.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Most of the high-end Chinese restaurants here in Costa Rica bring a small plate of pickled vegetables to nibble on while you were choosing your order. If I remember right, and it's been a long time, most of the restaurants in Seattle did the same. I don't remember ever actually seeing them on a menu.

Same here.  Pickles may not feature on the menu, but are served as described. 

They also appear in many dishes, but may not be listed on the menu.  Many Sichuan dishes, for example, contain pickled chillies. 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Pickles may not feature on the menu, but are served as described. 

I have neither seen them on the menu nor on the table. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Great timing! Just a few hours ago I bookmarked this restaurant for an upcoming trip to Boston. This was the featured picture on their menu: 

pickles.jpg

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

45 minutes ago, Alex said:

Great timing! Just a few hours ago I bookmarked this restaurant for an upcoming trip to Boston. This was the featured picture on their menu: 

pickles.jpg

Interesting. Again it is a Szechuan restaurant. I admit to never having eaten in one. 

My 2004 eG Blog