• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US July 4, 2021 menus

heidih

July 1 today threw me so Sunday is the 4th.

My little group is going simple. All vaxed. Lipton onion dip with sturdy ridge chips  - Trader joes and I think Costco make some sturdier than Ruffles. Hot dogs (steamed no grill), buns toasted stove top, mustard, relish, chopped onions.  Stovetop grilled jalapenos. A hearty potato salad with plenty of eggs and mustard and green onions - served room temp. Corn if it looks good at market. Weather is temperate so we can eat on a patio. Berries that look good at our Sunday Farmers Market with freshy whipped cream. Packages coconut tea biscuits on the side for crunch. BYOB. I'll use the last lemons from our tree and do lemonade, and iced tea.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

It was a madhouse at Kroger this morning and I went at 7:45am.  Carts piled to more than overflowing, some trying to push 2 carts!  All I wanted was hot dogs and buns and corn, and a cabbage for slaw. I got in and out quickly. Of course the extreme seniors went to Costco (!) and came home with 48 eggs (which I'd also purchased a dozen of) and a mega pack of 60 hot dogs they rarely eat "they were on sale". I have relocated my gathering to a friend's garden patio. The corn I got looks great - looking forward. And the dessert still dependent on Farmers Market by a friend. 

Y'all have NO plans???

Edited by heidih (log)

26 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have no plans but now I want a hot dog. It's been a couple years at least.

Same. Although I don’t have buns. White bread could work. I like to “boil” hot dogs from frozen in a pan with a NJT of water then let them “caramelize” for lack of a better term. But I don’t even know if I have hotdogs. I haven’t properly cooked in over three months.  

ETA: boil is probably the wrong word. Steam is more like it. NJ has some great hotdog manufacturers. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 3

We are going to my parents' house.  Everyone is vaccinated. This will be the first meal we have shared since Covid started, and we will hug for the first time since the beginning of that too.  My Mom is cooking everything because she wants to.  The menu is cold fried chicken, some sort of kale salad, cole slaw, and potato salad.  I am pretty sure she made everything today so she can just relax tomorrow.  At her request I am bringing some watermelon that she is turning in to some other kind of salad (not sure what kind), and a couple of bottles of rose for anyone who wants some.  No dessert because my Dad has diabetes and he is not great about managing it.  My sister is making a fruit tart for her kids, but leaving it at my house for them to have here afterwards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

It was a madhouse at Kroger this morning and I went at 7:45am.  Carts piled to more than overflowing, some trying to push 2 carts!  All I wanted was hot dogs and buns and corn, and a cabbage for slaw. I got in and out quickly. Of course the extreme seniors went to Costco (!) and came home with 48 eggs (which I'd also purchased a dozen of) and a mega pack of 60 hot dogs they rarely eat "they were on sale". I have relocated my gathering to a friend's garden patio. The corn I got looks great - looking forward. And the dessert still dependent on Farmers Market by a friend. 

Y'all have NO plans???

We in the desert have no plans. It’s hot ‘n humid (humid for us at least, anything over 15% is humid), therefore no real appetite or desire to cook. If it’s clear enough, we’ll be able to see the fireworks from Twentynine Palms, otherwise there’s “A Capital Fourth” on PBS. And praying that some fool air b’nb tourist doesn’t set off illegal fireworks and burn us all to the ground. 😱

Edited by DesertTinker
Added information (log)
  • Like 4

One kid is screwing around in South Africa , another in Montana. Apparently no stragglers are around either. 

So hamburgers, pot salad, and salad...most likely.

Maybe I'll mow some grass after the Phillies game

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

One kid is screwing around in South Africa , another in Montana. Apparently no stragglers are around either. 

Hey vagabond kids/explorers = cool.  Your plan sounds classic American - esp the lawn ;) Fire pit, marshmallow roast, fireworks in the distance? 

Our 4th will be on the 5th this year. We are going to my daughters' lake house on the only decent day of the holiday weekend. It has been raining here since Wednesday.

Our contribution will be wine and homemade baked beans. I am making the beans with Jacob's Cattle Beans I grew last summer. The recipes is the same as on the back of State of Maine brand bean packages. PXL_20210702_164725982.thumb.jpg.c72efc4467161f60e77a2b43e29f4a00.jpg

I add a cup of commercial barbecue sauce as my not so secret ingredient. I do need to get some salt pork.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Bison meatballs with wild mushroom confit.  A Red/White/Blue parfait; red grapefruit preserves, creme mousseline, and fresh blueberries with pecan meltaway cookie chunks.

Thematically nailed it with the bison!

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Hey vagabond kids/explorers = cool.  Your plan sounds classic American - esp the lawn ;) Fire pit, marshmallow roast, fireworks in the distance? 

Loud booms all night for a few days. Too hot for fire pit.  I hate marshmallows.

so 1/3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Could you tell me more about these?

I wish I could.  They were a gift from a friend.   It's not a marmalade, it's a jam made from red grapefruit.  I don't know her recipe or technique.  But it looks like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

No joy in Mudville today?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Our corn was the best I've had in years and someone brought tomatoes that were divine. Could have done with just the two items. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Dinner was an ear of fresh Jersey corn. It was really good considering it’s a bit early in the season. 

Sounds good to me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I wish I could.  They were a gift from a friend.   It's not a marmalade, it's a jam made from red grapefruit.  I don't know her recipe or technique.  But it looks like this.

That recipe looks like a huge amount of sugar for not very many grapefruit. Was your jam sweet?