• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen scale recommendations in the EU, 2021

xit

I know there already is a thread asking a similar question (https://forums.egullet.org/topic/137225-kitchen-scale-recommendations-2011–/), but instead of necroing that one, I thought it made more sense to create a new thread.
Anyhoo, to get back on topic, I'm on the hunt for a new kitchen scale, and so far I've not really been successful in finding one that I really love, and I hope this forum could help me in finding a new one.

My requirements are:

1: Minimum resolution of 0.1 g.

2: Minimum capacity of 2 kg.

3: Measure in g.

4: Replaceable battery and/or need to be plugged in to a socket to work, else I'll have to throw it out when the battery dies, and I don't want that.

5: Aesthetically pleasing to look at, which is obviously subjective.

My old scale satisfied basically all of them, except the resolution part, resolution was only 1 g, which isn't really helpful when measuring spices and such.

Currently I'm struggling with point 4 and 5, since a lot have started using non-replaceable litium-ion batteries, and others just look like they more belong in a lab than in a home kitchen.

Current candidates are:

Kern FOB-NS (https://www.kern-sohn.com/en/FOB-NS) - satisfies points 1-4, honestly this fits the bill, but it's really ugly. Can get it for around DKK928/€124/£107/$148.
Timemore Black Mirror (https://en.timemore.com/taimochanpin/heijingdianzicheng/heijingbasicdianzicheng/) - satisfies points 1-3 and 5, it's relatively cheap and looks good. Can get it for around DKK545/€73/£62/$87.
Acaia Pearl (https://eu.acaia.co/collections/coffee-scales/products/pearl?variant=39315672727663) - satisfies points 1-3 and 5, got a lot of useless crap, like smartphone connectivity, bloody expensive, but it looks utterly gorgeous! Can get it for around DKK1200/€158/£135/$187.
Hario V60 scale (https://global.hario.com/seihin/productdetail.php?product=VSTN-2000B) - satisfies points 2-4, only satisfies point 1 if total weight is below 600g, and it looks utterly boring. Can get it for around DKK600/€80/£69/$95.

Anyhoo, I hope someone in here might know of another scale that I've missed!
Else I'll probably end up with either the Kern or the Timemore.

Taylor

Zwilling

I use an escali (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) - it's not any more utterly boring than a pot or pan, I guess.  And for spices and such, some sort of $15 digital thing which sits in a drawer until I need it. 

Question - if you're measuring spices and such down to the .1 gram, isn't your kitchen basically a lab?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, xit said:

My requirements are:

1: Minimum resolution of 0.1 g.

2: Minimum capacity of 2 kg.

Those supposedly smart coffee scales you mention are rather expensive.  Are the coffee apps and phone connections a priority for you?  This one seems to meet the functional criteria, though perhaps not your aesthetic. 

If you're open to having more than one scale, you'll have a better selection of kitchen scales to choose from and can add a little pocket sized one to use for a few grams or less, as @weinoo mentions. I do the same.  Is it really worth the significant premium to have just one scale?  

My concern with using one of those coffee scales as an all-purpose scale is that they're relatively small so larger bowls may interfere with reading the display.  I like to weigh ingredients into my mixing bowls so it would be a problem for me, perhaps not for you.  Also I want something that can go up to 5 kg, but you know what you need. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Taylor

Zwilling

I use an escali (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) - it's not any more utterly boring than a pot or pan, I guess.  And for spices and such, some sort of $15 digital thing which sits in a drawer until I need it. 

Question - if you're measuring spices and such down to the .1 gram, isn't your kitchen basically a lab?

Those scales actually look nice!
And the Taylor scale has the proper resolution, so thank you for that, I'll have to see if I can find that here in EU.
And to answer your question: nah, don't consider it a lab, especially in regards to looks, I just like precision. :)

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Those supposedly smart coffee scales you mention are rather expensive.  Are the coffee apps and phone connections a priority for you?  This one seems to meet the functional criteria, though perhaps not your aesthetic. 

If you're open to having more than one scale, you'll have a better selection of kitchen scales to choose from and can add a little pocket sized one to use for a few grams or less, as @weinoo mentions. I do the same.  Is it really worth the significant premium to have just one scale?  

My concern with using one of those coffee scales as an all-purpose scale is that they're relatively small so larger bowls may interfere with reading the display.  I like to weigh ingredients into my mixing bowls so it would be a problem for me, perhaps not for you.  Also I want something that can go up to 5 kg, but you know what you need. 

Agree, especially the Acaia is insanely expensive, and no, I really do not need any such things. I just need a scale that can weigh stuff, and that's really it.
Do have a point in getting two different scales, one for small stuff, and one for general baking/cooking. I'll have to look into that.

• Like 2