• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Is it permissible to ask about the vinegars that the Chinese use in their pickles and preserves? Or is this a topic that you have covered in another thread? I've fallen in love with this black vinegar that I mentioned above. It has such a deep Smoky flavor and I was wondering how it is made.

Actually, black vinegar is seldom used in pickles. White rice vinegar is by far the usual choice.

I, too, love the flavour of the Zhengjiang vinegar and it's smokiness.

Most black vinegar is made from a glutinous black rice. It is usually used with braised meats and fish. My friend J's husband does a wonderful chicken dish with it, but is protective of his recipe. She is going to divorce him as soon as she gets it! 😂

But most commonly, it is used for dips with dumplings etc..

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Is it permissible to ask about the vinegars that the Chinese use in their pickles and preserves? Or is this a topic that you have covered in another thread? I've fallen in love with this black vinegar that I mentioned above. It has such a deep Smoky flavor and I was wondering how it is made.

Actually, black vinegar is seldom used in pickles. White rice vinegar is by far the usual choice.

Most black vinegar is made from a glutinous black rice. It is usually used with braised meats and fish. My friend J's husband does a wonderful chicken dish with it, but is protective of his recipe. She is going to divorce him as soon as she gets it! 😂

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Most black vinegar is made from a glutinous black rice. It is usually used with braised meats and fish. My friend J's husband does a wonferful chicken dish with it, but is protective of his recipe. She is going to divorce him as soon as she gets it! 😂