• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

31. 农家柴火丸子 (nóng jiā chái huo wán zi) – Peasant Family Firewood Balls

2099186544_tofublood1.thumb.jpg.631eab9ec386049b4c474410027ffd6d.jpg

Now, I know you are looking at the picture and thinking “they’re not balls”, and of course, you’re right. But that’s their name (sometimes they are balls). They’re not firewood, either. Or made by peasant families; at least these ones weren’t.

What they are is firewood smoked tofu and pigs’ blood sausages. The ingredients as listed are: Soy beans, water, pork, pigs’ blood, vegetable oil, salt, chilli, Sichuan peppercorn, star anise and cassia bark.

They are a speciality of Hunan, especially 邵阳 (shào yáng), a city in the south-west of the province.

tofu blood2.jpg

These I like.

There is video on their preparation and usage here.

ht

liuzhou

liuzhou

Now, I know you are looking at the picture and thinking “they’re not balls”, and of course, you’re right. But that’s their name (sometimes they are balls). They’re not firewood, either. Or made by peasant families; at least these ones weren’t.

What they are is firewood smoked tofu and pigs’ blood sausages. The ingredients as listed are: Soy beans, water, pork, pigs’ blood, vegetable oil, salt, chilli, Sichuan peppercorn, star anise and cassia bark.

They are a speciality of Hunan, especially 邵阳 (shào yáng), a city in the south-west of the province.

tofu blood2.jpg

These I like.

liuzhou

liuzhou

These I like.

tofu blood2.jpg