• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I wasn't planning to get to this yet, but since it has come up (my fault entirely) in this topic, I'll deal with it now.

10. 黑蒜 (hēi suàn) - Black Garlic

1133113494_Blackgarlic.thumb.jpg.35d11eecd7753c31777b99d1d0ab6449.jpg

I guess I first have to address whether or not 'black garlic' is Chinese in origin. The answer is "I don't know." But, neither does anyone else. There are dozens of websites offering to tell you the history of this product; few do. Others make ridiculous claims and yet others just repeat what the ridiculous ones said. Wikipedia, not usually shy of inaccuracies and downright nonsense, just ignores the history completely, only showing this.

1970223067_wikiblackgarlic.thumb.jpg.a1a7ddbf8ca6a7e5101f5e436f65de1c.jpg

The two most absurd claims concern Korea (not that these rule out Korea as the source, just not in these accounts). In 2004, a Korean entrepreneur patented a machine to produce black garlic on an industrial scale. By the time he moved to the USA in 2008, he seems to have become over-excited and started claiming that he invented the stuff! His company is now America’s top supplier. Great marketing, useless history. I know this for a fact! I first ate black garlic in Changsha, China 7 years before he invented it!

Then we have the British garlic farmer who claimed even later to have discovered a 4,000-year-old Korean recipe for black garlic and tried it out. Somehow, he imagined that this meant he had invented it. Sorry mate, but if you discover a recipe and make it, you have invented precisely nothing! Interestingly, he seems to have since lost that ancient recipe and so has never actually produced it in evidence. Very convenient. More marketing BS.

Another site mentions that it went from Korea to Taiwan, before being introduced to the rest of the world, including mainland China in 2010. Yeah! Right! And tea was introduced to Britain by Alaskan monks in 1953, after being invented by an Australian sheep farmer in 1412 .

There is credible evidence that the 4th century BC Chinese classic Tao Te Ching (道德经 - dào dé jīng), the ‘bible’ of Daoism, mentions black garlic, although that tome is notoriously difficult to translate. Even Chinese scholars find it very difficult to interpret accurately. There are also plausible mentions in ancient Korean and Japanese documents.

What I do know is that black garlic is definitely sold in China, so I think it can be mentioned here. You have to search it out – it certainly isn’t mainstream, but not difficult to find. The current supply I have is from Shandong Province on China’s east coast, also home to Confucius and Mao Zedong’s wife, Jiang Qing (who committed suicide in prison after Mao’s death) – maybe one of them invented it!

The other main thing to say about black garlic is that, again despite claims on websites which should know better, it isn’t fermented in any accepted definition of fermentation. It is cooked. It is preserved, however.

Whole bulbs of regular garlic are held at a temperature of 60℃ to 90℃ in a humidity of 80% to 90% for weeks or even months. You can do this at home using a slow cooker or rice cooker. However, only if you have very tolerant house companions and neighbours. It smells extremely garlicky, especially in the first couple of weeks. Most online recipes suggest processing it in a garage or outhouse, should you have one.

Recipe here.

Probably better to buy commercially processed garlic - once done, there  is virtually no smell.

1957034737_BlackGarlic.thumb.jpg.435b69fb9d0fa473f261b1df903bc7ec.jpg

The garlic undergoes a Maillard reaction and eventually turns soft and sticky. It loses all the sharp, slightly bitter taste of raw, unprocessed garlic and instead becomes sweet and reminds many people, including me, of balsamic vinegar, but without the acidity.

I get two types. The first, from regular heads, is in the first picture above, but my preference is for this single-headed garlic from SIchuan, 黑独蒜 (hēi dú suàn).

1721427713_.thumb.jpg.b86a005387e322c6ace3832cabbcec06.jpg

It can be eaten as is or added to salads, stir fries, etc. I like to crush it into mashed potatoes or just serve with rice. Black garlic mayo. Black garlic vinaigrette. The list goes on.

Black garlic cookie, anyone?

412274514_Blackgarliccookies2.thumb.jpg.1e3ae2723a5967bc5f4a2c8765db0d27.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I wasn't planning to get to this yet, but since it has come up (my fault entirely) in this topic, I'll deal with it now.

I guess I first have to address whether or not 'black garlic' is Chinese in origin. The answer is "I don't know." But, neither does anyone else. There are dozens of websites offering to tell you the history of this product; few do. Others make ridiculous claims and yet others just repeat what the ridiculous ones said. Wikipedia, not usually shy of inaccuracies and downright nonsense, just ignores the history completely, only showing this.

The two most absurd claims concern Korea (not that these rule out Korea as the source, just not in these accounts). In 2004, a Korean entrepreneur patented a machine to produce black garlic on an industrial scale. By the time he moved to the USA in 2008, he seems to have become over-excited and started claiming that he invented the stuff! His company is now America’s top supplier. Great marketing, useless history. I know this for a fact! I first ate black garlic in Changsha, China 7 years before he invented it!

Then we have the British garlic farmer who claimed even later to have discovered a 4,000-year-old Korean recipe for black garlic and tried it out. Somehow, he imagined that this meant he had invented it. Sorry mate, but if you discover a recipe and make it, you have invented precisely nothing! Interestingly, he seems to have since lost that ancient recipe and so has never actually produced it in evidence. Very convenient. More marketing BS.

Another site mentions that it went from Korea to Taiwan, before being introduced to the rest of the world, including mainland China in 2010. Yeah! Right! And tea was introduced to Britain by Alaskan monks in 1953, after being invented by an Australian sheep farmer in 1412 .

There is credible evidence that the 4th century BC Chinese classic Tao Te Ching (道德经 - dào dé jīng), the ‘bible’ of Daoism, mentions black garlic, although that tome is notoriously difficult to translate. Even Chinese scholars find it very difficult to interpret accurately. There are also plausible mentions in ancient Korean and Japanese documents.

What I do know is that black garlic is definitely sold in China, so I think it can be mentioned here. You have to search it out – it certainly isn’t mainstream, but not difficult to find. The current supply I have is from Shandong Province on China’s east coast, also home to Confucius and Mao Zedong’s wife, Jiang Qing (who committed suicide in prison after Mao’s death) – maybe one of them invented it!

The other main thing to say about black garlic is that, again despite claims on websites who should know better, it isn’t fermented in any accepted definition of fermentation. It is cooked. It is preserved however.

Whole bulbs of regular garlic are held at a temperature of 60℃ to 90℃ in a humidity of 80% to 90% for weeks or even months. You can do this at home using a slow cooker or rice cooker. However, only if you have very tolerant house companions and neighbours. It smells extremely garlicky, especially in the first couple of weeks. Most online recipes suggest processing it in a garage or outhouse, should you have one.

Recipe here.

The garlic undergoes a Maillard reaction and eventually turns soft and sticky. It loses all the sharp, slightly bitter taste of raw regular garlic and instead becomes sweet and reminds many people, including me, of balsamic vinegar, but sweeter.

I get two types. The first, from regular heads, is as posted above, but my preference is for this single-headed garlic from SIchuan, 黑独蒜 (hēi dú suàn).

It can be eaten as is or added to salads, stir fries, etc. I like to crush it into mashed potatoes or just serve with rice. Black garlic mayo. Black garlic vinaigrette. The list goes on.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The other main thing to say about black garlic is that, again despite claims on websites who should know better, it isn’t fermented in any accepted definition of fermentation. It is cooked. It is preserved however.

Recipe here.

The garlic undergoes a Maillard reaction and eventually turns soft and sticky. It loses all the sharp, slightly bitter taste of raw regular garlic and instead becomes sweet and reminds many people, including me, of balsamic vinegar, but sweeter.

I get two types. The first, from regular heads, is as posted above, but my preference is for this single-headed garlic from SIchuan, 黑独蒜 (hēi dú suàn).

liuzhou

liuzhou

I get two types. The first, from regular heads, is as posted above, bu tmy preference is for this single-headed garlic from SIchuan.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Another site mentions that it went from Korea to Taiwan, before being introduced to the rest of the world, including mainland China in 2010. Yeah! Right! And tea was introduced to Britain by Alaskan monks in 1953.

I get two types. The first, from regular heads, is as posted above, bu tmy preference is for this single-headed garlic from SIchuan.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Another site mentions that it went from Korea to Taiwan, before being introduced to the rest of the world, including mainland China in 2010. Yeah! Right! And tea was introduced to Britain by Alaskan monks in 1953.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1021949816301727