• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about - phak kat dong.  It was never neon when I saw it in Thailand (or in Vietnam for that matter) but the only stuff I can find in the stores here is extremely neon.

sour-mustard-green-large_14179a5f5039274

I can't make out all the ingredients there but all those I can see (apart from mustard) seem to be artificial preservatives and flavouring. The second picture in my first post - the southern style version of suan cai - is a commercial product made in a friend's pickling company. It only has salt and spices in addition to the mustard. Must be kept chilled.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about - phak kat dong.  It was never neon when I saw it in Thailand (or in Vietnam for that matter) but the only stuff I can find in the stores here is extremely neon.

sour-mustard-green-large_14179a5f5039274

I can't make out all the ingredients there but all those I can see (apart from mustard) seem to be artificial preservatives. The second picture in my first post - the southern style version of suan cai - is a commercial product made in a friend's pickling company. It only has salt and spices in addition to the mustard. Must be kept chilled.