• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is it safe to eat the tops of baby leeks?

eugenep

I googled this question and there is no answer online. If professionals on Egullet could provide an answer I think it would help a lot of people searching in the future. 

Mature leeks sold in Western grocers - you can't eat the top bc it's too tough 

But baby leeks are sold in Asian grocers. Because it's young, I thought the top is tender too? Could I actually stir-fry and eat it? That is, is this done in East Asian cooking or cooking generally? 

I was going to cut of some of the top and stir fry to see if it's edible as an experiment but if...someone had knowledge about this and could share I, and others searching, would be grateful. 

thank you 

• Like 1

Yes, you can eat them. You can eat the green parts of (more) mature ones as well, just need to cut very thinly and cook them. 

Blanching and/or stir frying should do the trick …

Disclaimer: I am not a professional either …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yes, you can eat them. You can eat the green parts of (more) mature ones as well, just need to cut very thinly and cook them. 

This is what I do, usually taking one layer off of the outside.  They're also perfect for soups.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Exactly!

This recipe for leek top cacio e pepe from Lindsay-Jean Hard's book Cooking With Scraps is a favorite of mine. 

Photo here:

I am absolutely NOT a professional either.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add photo link (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3