Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled herring: ISO


Recommended Posts

Strubs makes a pickled herring but Ed can't seem to find it in the regular grocery stores in Peterborough, including Superstore and Sobeys.  I've now tried the one by Feature, and while it musters a pass, I'd still like to find the one by Strubs.  I see that @Anna N and @ElsieD have posted about pickled herring in the past.  What kind did you use and where did you buy it?  

 

Peterborough is a fairly provincial city and some things just don't sell here.  But I'd certainly like to find Strubs.  Any thoughts, please.

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try Maggie's Meat and Dutch Market in Peterborough.  If they have the dutch pickled herring, it will be very good.  I am going out today and am likely to be going to Loblaws and Metro.  I'll see what they have.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Any thoughts, please.

I do not think I have ever seen Strubs pickled herring. But then I don’t usually buy my pickled herring at a supermarket. Mine usually comes from Denningers. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I do not think I have ever seen Strubs pickled herring. But then I don’t usually buy my pickled herring at a supermarket. Mine usually comes from Denningers. 

 

Denninger's pickled herring is the best and I always pick up a few jars when I'm in the area.  But I have had the pickled herring from the Dutch store here and it too is very good.  I'm not much of a fan of the stuff in the grocery stores.  Bring on August!  I'll be down there and will be picking some up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

Strubs makes a pickled herring but Ed can't seem to find it in the regular grocery stores in Peterborough, including Superstore and Sobeys.  I've now tried the one by Feature, and while it musters a pass, I'd still like to find the one by Strubs.  I see that @Anna N and @ElsieD have posted about pickled herring in the past.  What kind did you use and where did you buy it?  

 

Peterborough is a fairly provincial city and some things just don't sell here.  But I'd certainly like to find Strubs.  Any thoughts, please.


Do you have an IKEA in your vicinity ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

 

Denninger's pickled herring is the best and I always pick up a few jars when I'm in the area.  But I have had the pickled herring from the Dutch store here and it too is very good.  I'm not much of a fan of the stuff in the grocery stores.  Bring on August!  I'll be down there and will be picking some up.

In what area please?

 

Added:  Ah, I see.  Hamilton and so on.  

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Try Maggie's Meat and Dutch Market in Peterborough.  If they have the dutch pickled herring, it will be very good.  I am going out today and am likely to be going to Loblaws and Metro.  I'll see what they have.

I just called Maggie's.  The herring is straight from Holland and is salted, not pickled.  Might try it anyway.  Thanks. 

 

We don't have a Loblaws and although we have a Metro, it is in a part of the city we don't usually go to although we would.  We do go there once in a while to stock up on Muffaletta. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in Metro and they did not have it.  I did not get to Loblaws, but I will be before too long and I'll check there also.  Too bad about Maggie's.  I had hoped they might have had it.  The Dutch are very fond of pickled herring.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay.   Teach me about pickled herring.    Spurred on by posts on another board, I picked up some at my carriage trade market recently but found it too "fishy" for me.   I like raw shellfish, graflox and cerviches but this was distinctively off-putting    Not a good product or just me?

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My experience with pickled herring suggests yours was not fresh.  Pickled fish does not improve with age.  If the edges have turned what I think of as a brownish colour, it suggests to me that it has been sitting for a while.  You want the cut side of the fish to be the same colour as the innards.  Not fresh pickled herring = fishy taste.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don't  do shellfish and I like gravlax and ceviche.   I didn't find the pickled herring too 'fishy'...but then what does too 'fishy' mean?  Perhaps you should try another brand before you make up your mind.  

 

Certainly a lot of folks hate pickled herring.  I hadn't had it since childhood and the reason I picked some up a couple of months ago, is that a dear friend was doing one of those ubiquitous and mindless online quizzes...you get x number of points for every dish you will eat...or won't eat...and that's when I learned that she hated pickled herring.  So off we went to buy some.  I have promised not to serve it to her next visit.  :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...