• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas BBQ, Fermenting Food/Drinks, and Mixology; Sous Vide & Combi-Oven Cooking (What are your current interests?)

Jon S

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to drop in. :)

I'm looking forward to contributing what I have experienced myself as an amateur (scientist/)cook.

Just finished making cultured cream last night (7 day ferment) and can't wait to make some cultured butter tonight!

Just to give you an idea of who I am, I literally spent 4.5 hours straight after work, dead tired & with a migraine laying my back on the (clean) kitchen floor, researching scientific articles for the strains of Lactobacillus that were likely in buttermilk from Walmart I was about to use as a starter. All to have an ideal temperature I should aim to keep the fermentation at. (Turns out it was ideal for it to be 31 Degrees Celsius, based on the classification of the likely strain (of which there are two but I unfortunately don't have my notes in front of me right now. Will reply with them if there is interest.)

So, suffice to say joining was pretty much mandatory for me.

See y'all around! Looking forward to getting to know your interests, hard-earned discoveries, and ideas!

• Like 1

It's summertime. I'm gearing up to can and freeze everything in sight. Made Vivian Howard's Blue Q blueberry barbecue sauce yesterday -- six half-pints of it.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, kayb said:

It's summertime. I'm gearing up to can and freeze everything in sight. Made Vivian Howard's Blue Q blueberry barbecue sauce yesterday -- six half-pints of it.

*whistle* that’s a lot of sauce. That’s your way of saving a batch until next summer right? I’ve recent been gifted a chest freezer but haven’t really figured out what to freeze if anything yet. (Thought I’d use it for cold crashing fermenting carboys)

On 6/24/2021 at 7:41 AM, weinoo said:

I have all the same interests as you, and do none of them!

As long as you’ve got something to say I’m always all ears. :D Reading more than doing too nowadays.

• Like 1

I did a fruit based ketchup/bbq sauce this week too.   I had some dried fruit I wanted to use up (pineapple, wolfberry, black currant).  First, I made a tisane of the fruits that I froze in ice cubes for flavoring drinks/cocktails.  Next, I smashed the solid remnants of the fruits into a jar of white wine vinegar and let it sit for a few weeks.   Then I strained the solids back out and used those in a ketchup/bbq sauce I cobbled together through looking at various fruit-based ketchup recipes off the web.   The beauty was the fruit was used 3 times for 3 different things (tisane, vinegar, sauce) and the ketchup was sweet enough with the fruit, I didn't need to add more sugar.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon S said:

*whistle* that’s a lot of sauce. That’s your way of saving a batch until next summer right? I’ve recent been gifted a chest freezer but haven’t really figured out what to freeze if anything yet. (Thought I’d use it for cold crashing fermenting carboys)

Yes. I can and preserve a lot of fruit and vegetables over the summer; it's almost as good as having fresh in the winter. In about two weeks, I'll start canning tomatoes and tomato juice (nothing like a Bloody Mary made with home-canned tomato juice). As for the freezer -- I freeze peaches, some berries, peas, corn, and I buy a quarter of a steer every winter. If I get really ambitious I'll freeze okra -- if you cut it up, dust it in cornmeal, freeze it on a cookie sheet and bag it up when it's frozen, it's almost as good as fresh.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, lemniscate said:

I did a fruit based ketchup/bbq sauce this week too.   I had some dried fruit I wanted to use up (pineapple, wolfberry, black currant).  First, I made a tisane of the fruits that I froze in ice cubes for flavoring drinks/cocktails.  Next, I smashed the solid remnants of the fruits into a jar of white wine vinegar and let it sit for a few weeks.   Then I strained the solids back out and used those in a ketchup/bbq sauce I cobbled together through looking at various fruit-based ketchup recipes off the web.   The beauty was the fruit was used 3 times for 3 different things (tisane, vinegar, sauce) and the ketchup was sweet enough with the fruit, I didn't need to add more sugar.  

Saving this idea for later!