• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this food okay to eat?

TdeV

Pork Belly which is vacuum sealed and was sous-vide-d for 48 hours. It's been sitting in the fridge for a few months, not in the meat drawer (which is close to freezing).

I was thinking of putting it (still wrapped) in the Anova Oven at sv temperatures to get warm, and then opening the bag.

If it still smells okay, can we eat it?

OK...I have one similar. Bought four pork chops at the meat market, back around Memorial Day. Not frozen. Local slaughterhouse/processor. Local hogs. Brought home, separated, SV'd 8 hours at 145F. One package I immediately put in freezer. Other has been in the fridge since, so 3-ish weeks. Still in SV bag. Fridge temp is 38F. Safe?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

46 minutes ago, kayb said:

OK...I have one similar. Bought four pork chops at the meat market, back around Memorial Day. Not frozen. Local slaughterhouse/processor. Local hogs. Brought home, separated, SV'd 8 hours at 145F. One package I immediately put in freezer. Other has been in the fridge since, so 3-ish weeks. Still in SV bag. Fridge temp is 38F. Safe?

At 38F I'd say not. 

I keep vacuum sealed pasteurized proteins in the refrigerator for a few weeks.  Even I would worry after "a few months".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Let’s approach this scientifically: with the given time & temperature, and a properly sealed bag, plus ideal cooling & storage the probability of having active bacteria (Listeria, Clostridium, …) present in the bag is very low. At your fridge temperature and given the anaerobic environment, growth will be slow, but is possible. Overall, sufficient bacterial contamination is unlikely.

A potential resulting poisoning from ingestion, will have a serious (major) if not severe (catastrophic) outcome.

Applying a general risk matrix will give you:

C95837A7-2B63-435D-A796-D57C05672148.png.4a168d994ef63c3193fa85d5df0afb7d.png

This will leave you at a high risk, per definition in need for fail-proof mitigation. I would assume you don’t have that (e.g. a willing taster), so I suggest to abstain from consumption.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

This will leave you at a high risk, per definition in need for fail-proof mitigation. I would assume you don’t have that (e.g. a willing taster), so I suggest to abstain from consumption.

Even more succinctly, when in doubt...etc. etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?