• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh mustard seed oil?

Werdna

I've cooked with mustard seed oil a little, and really like it... to an extent, or I would but my nose kicks in and tells me the oil I'm using is rancid.  

It seems that because some authority decided it's not for eating, it's sold as a 'massage' product and 

-is packaged in clear containers

-has no press date 

-has no expiration date, or an expiration date that may have been calculated based on it not being consumed in food

So I'm looking for a source that sells recently pressed mustard seed oil, preferably in oil-aware dark glass/cans.    I would love to cook with it more, but it's not just for health reasons that I don't want to eat rancid oil.

The Serious Eats guide is a good read, thanks!  I have a lot of markets near me that sell it, but I don't trust the turnover and the bottles are clear and sometimes dusty with age.

Couple hits on amazon for what look like good options, but knowing amazon it could be some third party reseller who bought an old box of oil on ebay.