• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tale of Food and Love

liuzhou

I wasn't sure where to put this. It doesn't seem to fit in any existing topic that I can find. If there is one, no doubt this will be moved.

I found this article both touching and remarkably sane.

Love and microwaved eggs – my dinners at Dad’s

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Oh - that is a lovely piece. I can feel the love and humor around their table. Reminds me of grandpa who was in charge when all the cousins slept over and grandma worked nights. He couldn't cook, but we always told him we loved his specialty: Oscar Meyer Little Smokies heated in water, bread untoasted, no spread, and fruit cocktail. We could have made it ourselves but his joy in our joy kept the ritual going. Thanks!

• Like 4

My dad, who is now 94, did very, very little cooking until my Mom died 20 years ago. On the odd night when he was left to cook dinner for us kids, he made one of his 3 specialties; canned meatballs in gravy, pork 'n beans on toast or as sandwiches or fried egg sandwiches. If he was feeling fancy we would have smoked oysters on saltines as an appetizer. It always felt like a bit of an adventure when Dad was at the helm in the kitchen, and I say that with love!

• Like 7

On the rare occasions Daddy was in charge of dinner, we went out.

He was, however, well in charge of the main dish if it involved fried fish or anything on the grill. 

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com