• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current Favorite Specialty or Country-Specific Food Websites

weinoo

My love for Gustiamo is no secret, for very high-quality Italian foodstuffs. Also, Supermarket Italy (though the scope of products is much greater) and Buon Italia.

For Spanish...

IMG_4358.thumb.jpeg.76b6a20746783799a08728a051fa2ea7.jpeg

This place has joined my list too...Donostia Foods. I also like La Tienda and Despaña for other Spanish imports.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Over this side of the pond my current favourite is Basco  - they do loads of speciality Spanish meats and charcuterie. Whole suckling pig, milk fed lamb and (at the other end of the age spectrum) 10-12 year old Galician beef from ex-dairy cows:

807A6FDE-3A3C-440F-B35B-73D3234D70EC.thumb.jpeg.07e420bfa07587a0744e049f33e6ef30.jpeg

It’s been great being able to get hold of interesting food this last year, despite having eaten out maybe only 2-3 times. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, &roid said:

It’s been great being able to get hold of interesting food this last year, despite having eaten out maybe only 2-3 times. 

Yes - I wish I could find a purveyor of the French stuff of my dreams. Instead, I cobble that stuff together from a multitude of sources. 

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, &roid said:

Over this side of the pond my current favourite is Basco  - they do loads of speciality Spanish meats and charcuterie. Whole suckling pig, milk fed lamb and (at the other end of the age spectrum) 10-12 year old Galician beef from ex-dairy cows:

807A6FDE-3A3C-440F-B35B-73D3234D70EC.thumb.jpeg.07e420bfa07587a0744e049f33e6ef30.jpeg

This type of meat was commonly sold mislabeled as if it was Ox, and still probably commonly sold as, specially in restaurants. If the cows had an appropriate life, and they have time to rest and feed for some months after being away from the dairy business, I must say they can be better than most ox (castrated male) from similar life circumstances. Alas, "old cow" does not sell as good as "ox" , and it has been in the last decade or decade and a half when people has started to place this meat on value and use their real name...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I like the Matiz products. Always have some in the pantry.

Have you tried the Matiz  piparras? Green pickled peppers with a really unique (to my mind) flavor. What other Matiz products do you like?

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Have you tried the Matiz  piparras? Green pickled peppers with a really unique (to my mind) flavor. What other Matiz products do you like?

These berberechos are good. 

image.png.13a2be957bcb65dba230e59e5e31e561.png

And don't tell @Duvel - but I sometimes cheat with the product on the right...

IMG_7077.thumb.jpeg.09a1422aa1b9d3e1aa976163768b6caf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thanks @weinoo for the suggestions. Never had cockles but def up for that. What do you do with? And I am going to try the sofrito. Years ago I was on a Daisy Martinez kick and became obsessed with her yellow rice and finding uses for achiote paste. I did make my own sofrito but these days I just don't have the  energy to prep for prep. As for Duvel, don't worry, my lips are sealed. I am pretty sure that The Little One, who isn't so little any more, previews Duvel's in-box and tosses the unimportant messages any way, .while snacking on octopus

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Never had cockles but def up for that. What do you do with?

I use them for my famous (?) linguini with canned clams...I think they also make a clam product? If not, they are a good add in to the old Snow's!

Tasty Travails - My Blog