• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Sunday

Sandra Levine

Sides of yu chiao (grease sticks)

Okay, I give up. What is this?

n15.jpg

Chinese fried dough?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Just plain, relatively mild Coach goat cheese from Fresh Fields. It's a little round piece. I didn't want something super-goaty.

Plating: Three endive leaves with a small hunk of the cheese at the bottom fanned at the top of the plate. Sliced endive and the trout tossed with the dressing in the center. Sliced pear fanned at the bottom of the plate. Drizzled dressing on the endive and pear fans. Scrape of black pepper over the trout-endive mixture.

I wanted to combine the pear with the trout and sliced endive mixture but our guest is opposed to fruit in savory dishes and I wasn't sure if she'd go for pear in the salad...so I wanted to make sure she could pick around it if desired. Turned out she had no issue with it and ate it all up. :biggrin:

Congee with minced pork, fermented black beans, ginger and garlic.

Toppings included -- pickled bean sprouts, chopped scallions, toasted sesame seeds, spicy pickled turnips, chopped tea eggs.

And the best part is, it took less than an hour to make! :smile:

(ok, I cheated on two of the toppings -- the bean sprouts were made last week, and the turnips are a prepared product. but it's all good. :blink: )

SA

I had one of MY favorite things for breakfast - braunsweiger sandwich.  Bites of cheese & tomatoes.

Yes!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I had one of MY favorite things for breakfast - braunsweiger sandwich. 

Mmmm, forbidden liverwurst.

(laugh, only if you like the Simpsons.)

SA

--------

for those of you who don't get it, there used to be this Flash intro on the simpsons web site that showed Homer jumping for a doughnut held just out of his reach. "Mmmmm, forbidden doughhhhhhnut."

heheh

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

my huband and i are feeling flu-y, so we didn't make a special breakfast this weekend. last week i baked muffins the mornings i had to go to work--mixed the dry stuff the night before. the best were corn and molasses muffins with raisins, craisins and walnuts. one morning i put tortillas in the bamboo steamer while i "poached" two organic eggs in butter in a cast-iron skillet, til the yokes were hard, then wrapped them in the tortillas and ate with ecuadorian aji. mmmm..... and i always drink a pot of black or green tea.

• 3 weeks later...

Fried eggs over light, fried in Devon double cream butter; John F. Martin brand bacon (bought at the Saturday farmer's market here on Roosevelt Island--should be available at the Wengerd Farm's stand at the Union Square Greenmarket); Sandy's biscuits, made with White Lily Flour and spread with Plugras and raspberry jam: Sandy's grits--the best I have ever had anywhere; OJ and coffee.

Kedgeree

Originally Anglo-Indian (kicheree), and made with chickpeas, rather than fish.

For about 4 people for breakfast with some left over.

2 onions peeled and coarsly chopped

2 oz best unsalted butter (you need lots). Use EVOO instead if you are going to it it cold

Sweat the onions in the butter over a low heat until golden - 1/2 hour

2 Teaspoons of your favourite curry powder/paste. I like a mild generic Madras.

stir into the onions

1 cup Basmati rice

Stir into the onions/ curry

2cups water

Add, bring to boil and simmer, lid off, until the liquid is adsorbed and the rice just done.

Meantime hard-boil 4 eggs. You can cheat and boil them in the cooking rice. Cool, peel and cut into quarters lengthways

1 piece (about 400g/1Lb) undyed smoked haddock fillet, skinned

(Cod is now an endangered species, so off limits. Can use fresh cooked salmon, but not the same. Soaked Salt Cod is interesting, but different. I agree that trout is the wrong texture. Kippers and Smokies would be too strong)

Cut the cod into about 2 inch pieces, removing any bones. Add to rice just as the liquid is being adsorbed. Stir and leave 10 mins with the lid on.. The residual heat will cook it.

Stir in 2 oz butter (or EVOO - see above). Check seasoning.

Turn out onto platter. Decorate with the egg (or mix the egg in). Thats it. Eat warm.

Can also decorate with chopped parsley, chives, spring onions, small (brunoise) cubes of chopped red or green pepper. However they look messy when dished and inevitably stirred in. I prefer mine plain, with just hard-boiled eggs.

If you must or are cooking in that sort of restaurant, you can deconstruct it and build a tower of the components layered in a ring mould. Squirt some reduced balsamic in squiggles on the plate, and some damp salad.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

My once a year visit to the Cracker Barrell with the in-laws. This time I had something I really liked (the first time). Grilled bacon and cheese sandwich of the lunch menu. My weeks worth of cholesterol in the first meal.

My wife's pecan pancake wasn't bad. The coffee was somewhere between the stuff they serve on US Airways and the stuff they serve in vending machines at rest stops on I 80 in Kansas.

beachfan

Other than fresh squeezed orange juice (Temples), I don't make my favorite breakfast: Spanish Omelet in a place that knows how to make it.

New York Times.

Favorite 'on the road' breakfast is two soft scrambled eggs with very crisp bacon. English muffins come buttered already when out on the road. I always try to get home made corned beef hash with two easy- over eggs, but I almost never get it, because it usually comes out of a can.

Now I'm getting warmed up. Favorite breakfast that hubby and I both love is creamed chip beef with waterchestnuts on English Muffins. I have a cholesterol problem; why do you ask?

Normally Sunday breakfast is done properly (? :wink: ) in our house, either American or Japanese style, but I was out late on Saturday and slept in.

2 kids had rice with furikake

1 kid had cereal

the husband had curry rice

when the kids saw daddy eating curry rice, they had to have it too! moredishes for mommy to wash! :angry:

I had left over vanilla-cream pudding and raspberry bars with a glass of iced coffee

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I was at the Red Apple Inn in Heber Springs, Arkansas for breakfast this morning and had blueberry waffles, Ozark bacon slightly crispy, and grits cooked with chicken stock. It was pretty good considering this part of the world is really food challenged.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

A VERY experimental breakfast for me and my roommate:

socca [navy bean brandade, hummus with roasted garlic]

For the brandade, replace the cod in a traditional recipe with pre-soaked or canned navy beans, and proceed as normal. I used roasted garlic in place of raw garlic when making the hummus. I recommend making these two a day ahead, to help develop their flavors.

sweet vanilla polenta [mascarpone, orange/ginger marmalade]

SA

Sunday breakfast.

Cereal, usually Weetabix.

Fresh citrus salad (home-cut segments of 1 regular grapefruit, 1 pink grapefruit, 3 oranges, 3 satsumas or manadarins, chilled overnight)

Toast with Tiptree preserves or Marmite

Cafetiere of Kenyan coffee.