• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you prop up your immersion blender while it's in use? (Mine's a Bamix)

TdeV

Yesterday I was on my feet for hours, so I was in pain by the time I got around to making the guacamole. I'm always a bit more cavalier in that state of mind. And I wasn't very careful when I had to put down the filled Bamix blade, so it soon fell off wherever I had propped it and splattered guacamole all over the cutting board.

The Bamix is too long and top heavy to be easily contained in a bowl, even a heavy glass one.

So I'm wondering what other folks do when you have to stop temporarily in the middle of whizzing stuff?

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So I'm wondering what other folks do when you have to stop temporarily in the middle of whizzing stuff?

This will depend much on your kitchen configuration but I’ll lay mine down on the counter with the business end over the sink.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This will depend much on your kitchen configuration but I’ll lay mine down on the counter with the business end over the sink.  

Similar here, but the cord won’t reach the sink so I lay it down with the end over a plate. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sadly, there's no room near the sink.

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Similar here, but the cord won’t reach the sink so I lay it down with the end over a plate. 

I wonder if I could get a wedge to prop up the shaft to keep the blade above the suface of the plate?

46 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I wonder if I could get a wedge to prop up the shaft to keep the blade above the suface of the plate?

Why do you want to do this?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Sure. Not sure why it shouldn’t touch the plate but you could just take a small piece of sturdy cardboard and fold it in half into a little tent shape then cut a little rounded notch in the peak that the shaft can nestle into. 

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Why do you want to do this?

If the blade is not touching anything, then the contents of what's on the blade will stay there, thus waste (of tasty stuff) would be minimized.

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

If the blade is not touching anything, then the contents of what's on the blade will stay there, thus waste (of tasty stuff) would be minimized.

Only something extremely thick will stay otherwise it will simply drop off onto the plate which is what it would do anyway whether or not you had something wedging it.  
I think you are over thinking this. If what you are blending is so expensive or precious that you can’t afford to waste even a drop then how about using a piece of parchment to collect the drips or smudges.  You can easily scrape that back into your container. Or you could simply scrape it off a plate but then you’d have to wash the plate.  Surely  life shouldn’t be this complicated. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

so I lay it down with the end over a plate.

Me too. Also a Bamix.

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Only something extremely thick will stay otherwise it will simply drop off onto the plate

Exactly what I was thinking.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, TdeV said:

And you're not worried about the whole thing falling over?

I worry about a lot of things.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

How big is your milkshake cup? Most of the ones on Amazon are 30 oz. With a 2.5" base. My Bamix is 2.25" at base.

Edited by TdeV
Added some details (log)

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

How big is your milkshake cup? Most of the ones on Amazon are 30 oz. With a 2.5" base. My Bamix is 2.25" at base.

That's about the size of my milkshake cups.  I got them on amazon.  Probably not a good match for your needs.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks, Jo. I've been practising propping the Bamix upright on the counter top. Seems somewhat stable, though any movement of the cable causes it to rock slightly. Worries me quite a bit—likely a lot more than it ought. 😨

Probably a residue of years of living in California where one learns to brace everything.

• Like 1