• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

24 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Would you consider eating your caviar with vodka instead?

Many years ago, when I was working closely with the USSR*, I was regularly treated to caviar feasts, both in Moscow and London.  It was always served with champagne - in Russia with Russian champagne (surprisingly good) and in London with the real French deal.

Also, caviar was nearly always served on its own or simply with blinis and sour cream. It is not something you want to complicate. Caviar is a real prima donna and doesn't take well to being overshadowed.

* No, I am not  a spy, nor have I ever been a spy (which is exactly what a spy would say, I know). A bit more explanation here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Would you consider eating your caviar with vodka instead?

Many years ago, when I was working closely with the USSR*, I was regularly treated to caviar feasts, both in Moscow and London.  It was always served with champagne - in Russia with Russian champagne (surprisingly good) and in London with the real French deal.

Also, caviar was nearly always served on its own or simply with blinis and sour cream. It is not something you want to complicate. Caviar is a real prima donna and doesn't take well to being overshadowed.

* No, I am not  a spy, nor have I ever been a spy (which is exactly what spy would say, I know). A bit more explanation here.