Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Tongue Suggestions


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've happily eaten pork tongue many times in restaurants and friends' homes here, but never cooked it. Today, on a whim, I bought one.

 

1966825378_pigtongue.thumb.jpg.7aa09156110538d842e8f0ddbfa5e788.jpg

 

Obviously, I can and will ask those friends for suggestions as to how to use it, but I'd also like to read what suggestions people here may have. My friends are all going to give me Chinese ideas. There must be others!

 

1938726775_pigtongue2.thumb.jpg.9fcb44d1267b5779dc0fd82be963d3ce.jpg

 

 

Thanks!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a product I have ready access to. Have you considered (trigger word alert) corning/pickling it, then the low slow simmer? I've only done beef which based on the cattle I've seen might be firmer than Mr. Piggy.  Dense flesh that I like with a sharp condiment or sauce like horseradish or mustard. Yiuyrs looks more managable than the larger beef one for a single person.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's your first step.    From there, you can marinate sliced tongue in a myriad of vinaigrette type sauces.   Or serve hot with a mustard sauce, or...    Small tongues are blank canvases for your imagination and craving.

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Here's your first step.    From there, you can marinate sliced tongue in a myriad of vinaigrette type sauces.   Or serve hot with a mustard sauce, or...    Small tongues are blank canvases for your imagination and craving.

Thanks, but perhaps I should have been clearer.  I know how to prepare and cook it. 

 

I was more looking for what to do with it thereafter. 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks, but perhaps I should have been clearer.  I know how to prepare and cook it. 

 

I was more looking for what to do with it thereafter. 

I don't understand.    If you have "cooked "it, which I assume means some seasoning treatment, what's left but to serve and eat it?

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  Tacos.

 

 

I think we used it in Posole..  In the broth and bits added back. we used tongue/ears/ snout/ toes and a Pork loin--  Rosario always said her daughters would never eat the fore mentioned body parts!!

 

Lingua taco's would work too

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had medium-cooked pork tongue in an Izakaya in Tokyo, specializing in offal. It came in thin  slices dressed with Tsuyu (soy sauce/mirin/sake), a bit of vinegar and karashi. It was topped with copious amounts of mild raw onion. Very good !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I don't understand.    If you have "cooked "it, which I assume means some seasoning treatment, what's left but to serve and eat it?

 

Oh dear. I guess you know how to cook chicken. Do you serve and eat it the same way every time?

 

I also know how to cook potatoes. I certainly don't always serve them the same way every time, either.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

Oh dear. I guess you know how to cook chicken. Do you serve and eat it the same way every time?

 

I also know how to cook potatoes. I certainly don't always serve them the same way every time, either.

Got it.

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brine like you would beef tounge, then slice thin and serve with Rye bread, and cheese.  You add some mustard, or go the cuban route.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...