• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Children Who are Fussy/Picky Eaters

cteavin

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I's need lots of studies before I'd believe that their parents cannot.

I am afraid that some (and maybe that’s a growing share) parents are so entangled in a certain view of the world that their beliefs guide their food choices ...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I am afraid that some (and maybe that’s a growing share) parents are so entangled in a certain view of the world that their beliefs guide their food choices ...

Beliefs have guided food choices for centuries. Look how many creeds have lists of prohibited and permitted foods. Nothing new there.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Beliefs have guided food choices for centuries. Look how many creeds have lists of prohibited and permitted foods. Nothing new there.

I was not specifically referring to the traditional religions, but more to the “modern” beliefs (veganism, fruitarian, paleo, low “whatever”, Duvelism) etc. ...

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I was not specifically referring to the traditional religions, but more to the “modern” beliefs (veganism, fruitarian, paleo, low “whatever”, Duvelism) etc. ...

Not much difference.  But it's not a topic I'm going to get into here.

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'd need a lot of studies before I'd believe that children are capable of making proper  nutrition decisions when their parents cannot 

Since children can only eat what is offered to them, a balanced diet is, of course, not guaranteed.    What I believe is documented is that they will not overeat or learn to stuff themselves, which is perhaps somewhat normal when being spoonfed what adults think is a proper serving.

eGullet member #80.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist adding this.

f6493c65b0f3a57899c612256f54405f--pre-history-drawing.jpg.9b48f2b34eae5e9bce39b1481e33ce7f.jpg

In my humble opinion, it has more to do with the modern attitude about raising children. They're not children they're just small adults and they must be reasoned with instead of disciplined. If you discipline them they will not be your friends and they will not like you. In every case that I've seen, without rules, guidance and discipline the inmates are soon running the asylum. I'm glad that @Duvel has weighed in. He is raising a truly adventurous eater.

• Thanks 2

So...I started off feeding my (now 9yo) from the table. Problem is that what he was willing to eat when in a high chair he basically will not touch now. He's slowly expanding his horizons back again. But if he could, he'd live on macaroni & cheese. He's old enough now that dinner options are "eat what we're eating or get it yourself," which usually results in a few bites taken followed by a bagel or something else carb-heavy. 

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

13 minutes ago, Allura said:

dinner options

I want to preface this by saying that none of my children had food allergies or special dietary needs. The dinner options were, when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table or when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table. Special meals could be requested when they had friends over or for special occasions. As a single mother raising four daughters oh, I had neither the time, energy nor money to be catering to four different diets. Our meals were served family style and when they were old enough to put the food on their plate they were allowed to choose how much they wanted of each item. If it was something that they particularly hated, they weren't forced to eat it.

23 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I want to preface this by saying that none of my children had food allergies or special dietary needs. The dinner options were, when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table or when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table. Special meals could be requested when they had friends over or for special occasions. As a single mother raising four daughters oh, I had neither the time, energy nor money to be catering to four different diets. Our meals were served family style and when they were old enough to put the food on their plate they were allowed to choose how much they wanted of each item. If it was something that they particularly hated, they weren't forced to eat it.

And honestly, that was how we started off. The problem is that the intervention of a medication that suppresses appetite means that evening meals have to include making up calories that weren't eaten during the day. We're slowly, so slowly expanding options, and he tries. But he's often hungry but still can't face another bite of something he doesn't like.

I guess my point is that there's a lot of reasons for picky eaters and sometimes you don't see the whole picture.

Edited by Allura (log)
  • Like 3

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

On 6/21/2021 at 7:29 AM, liuzhou said:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

True. It was a reply to a post which seemed to suggest a link. I made the comment to suggest that it  was nothing to do with the topic at hand. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Personally I was a borderline obnoxiously picky child. As an adult there is very little I won’t try. If I don’t like it, I’m not going to force myself into liking said foods (ie: foie gras). But I will try almost everything. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 3