• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Allura

Allura

23 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I want to preface this by saying that none of my children had food allergies or special dietary needs. The dinner options were, when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table or when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table. Special meals could be requested when they had friends over or for special occasions. As a single mother raising four daughters oh, I had neither the time, energy nor money to be catering to four different diets. Our meals were served family style and when they were old enough to put the food on their plate they were allowed to choose how much they wanted of each item. If it was something that they particularly hated, they weren't forced to eat it.

And honestly, that was how we started off. The problem is that the intervention of a medication that suppresses appetite means that evening meals have to include making up calories that weren't eaten during the day. We're slowly, so slowly expanding options, and he tries. But he's often hungry but still can't face another bite of something he doesn't like.

I guess my point is that there's a lot of reasons for picky eaters and sometimes you don't see the whole picture.

Allura

Allura

23 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I want to preface this by saying that none of my children had food allergies or special dietary needs. The dinner options were, when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table or when we eat together we all eat the food that is set on the table. Special meals could be requested when they had friends over or for special occasions. As a single mother raising four daughters oh, I had neither the time, energy nor money to be catering to four different diets. Our meals were served family style and when they were old enough to put the food on their plate they were allowed to choose how much they wanted of each item. If it was something that they particularly hated, they weren't forced to eat it.

And honestly, that was how we started off. The problem is that the intervention of a medication that suppresses appetite means that evening meals have to include making up calories that weren't eaten during the day. We're slowly, so slowly expanding options, and he tries. But he's often hungry but still can't face another bite of something he doesn't like.