• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Honkman

Honkman

5 hours ago, cteavin said:

often read about people fussing over people's (food) wants/preferences

That is something I have never understood living now 20+ years in different parts of the US that way too many parents adjust their meals to what the kids want and are used to. It’s sometimes ridiculous to see at school potlucks what some of these kids are not eating because they have never experienced it. And as with so many other things, e.g. languages, behavior in many forms throughout life (including how to behave in restaurants) are deeply formed in the early years of life and should have the full support of the parents (and I have never seen anywhere on this level in different countries in Europe)

Honkman

Honkman

5 hours ago, cteavin said:

often read about people fussing over people's (food) wants/preferences

That is something I have never understood living now 20+ years in different parts of the US that way too many parents adjust their meals to what the kids want and are used to. It’s sometimes ridiculous to see at school potlucks what some of these kids are not eating because they have never experienced it. And as with so many other things, e.g. languages, behavior in many forms throughout life (including how to behave in restaurants) are deeply formed in the early years of life and should have the full support of the parents