• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Butter

Anybody have a good in-Canada source for cocoa butter, preferably in callet form? I was using the Barry Callebaut callets from Chocolat Chocolat but it no longer appears to be available there (though I could be wrong, really not enjoying their website change... it's much slower and more difficult to track things down now). I found Choctura brand on the Qualifirst site at $79 for 2 kg so not much out of line from what I was already spending, just completely unfamiliar with the brand/quality.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

50 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Anybody have a good in-Canada source for cocoa butter, preferably in callet form? I was using the Barry Callebaut callets from Chocolat Chocolat but it no longer appears to be available there (though I could be wrong, really not enjoying their website change... it's much slower and more difficult to track things down now). I found Choctura brand on the Qualifirst site at $79 for 2 kg so not much out of line from what I was already spending, just completely unfamiliar with the brand/quality.

I've gotten Schokenade from Sweet Market Distribution, he also carries the Cacao Barry, Callebaut and Belcolade. But the quantities are a bit bigger. I think the last box I bought was 10 kg.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've gotten Schokenade from Sweet Market Distribution, he also carries the Cacao Barry, Callebaut and Belcolade. But the quantities are a bit bigger. I think the last box I bought was 10 kg.

Thanks! I'll look into that. I may not be opposed to the idea of 10 kg quantities in the relatively near future. I'm leaning towards a serious push at the bean to bar stuff just to see if it'll catch on locally. There's been a shift in the local customer base fairly recently since the new medical center was built. People coming here that are used to things not available here. I've seen business ventures doing well that wouldn't have lasted 2 months here 5 years ago. Gonna spend the hot weather months playing around with ideas and try to jump in with both feet as soon as it starts cooling down. Assuming I can find the gumption, that is. That's been my biggest hurdle the past few years, lack of gumption and round tuits.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Because I said in a previous post that I'm not completely happy with the new Chocolat Chocolat website and that's a company I've always had good experience dealing with, i'm going to update to it seems to be a work in progress so I'm gonna be patient with it.

The cocoa butter is back, different brand (Belcolade) but similar packaging and pricing. There still seems to be some bugs to sort in the menu unless they've intentoonally closed off the "products" listiing (or my phone's just not displaying it but I don't think it's that since the other categories are all showing). Products can be found through the search function though.

So anyway, no.real point other than my usual option for cocoa butter is back and a stand-by for my unhappiness with the new site.

• Like 2