• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

30 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have a question about the beef in China. Is it all free range beef? Do they age it in any way? Does it have any fat marbling? Whenever I have had any beef stir-fry or  anyting of the type that you were talking about in a good Chinese restaurant, the beef seems to be very tender. Is it in the marinade that they use?

I could really use some advice because the beef here is terrible. It is a free range, Brahma crossbreed that has no fat whatsoever. The closest thing that they ever come to aging is if the truck on the way from the slaughterhouse to the butcher shop gets a flat tire. Thank you.

I'd guess none of it is free range. It isn't aged. It can be lean or very fatty depending on how you want to use it.  For stir frying most people use a very lean tenderloin cut. Some marinades help tenderise it, but often it's not necessary. I stir fried very lean beef tonight and the marinade was just garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine, none of which tenderise meat, so far as I know. It was melt-in-the-mouth tender when cooked.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have a question about the beef in China. Is it all free range beef? Do they age it in any way? Does it have any fat marbling? Whenever I have had any beef stir-fry or  anyting of the type that you were talking about in a good Chinese restaurant, the beef seems to be very tender. Is it in the marinade that they use?

I could really use some advice because the beef here is terrible. It is a free range, Brahma crossbreed that has no fat whatsoever. The closest thing that they ever come to aging is if the truck on the way from the slaughterhouse to the butcher shop gets a flat tire. Thank you.

I'd guess none of it is free range. It isn't aged. It can be lean or very fatty depending on how you want to use it.  For stir frying most people use a very lean tenderloin cut. Some marinades help tenderise it, but often it's not necessary. I stir fried very lean beef tonight and the marinade was just garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine, none of which tenderise meat, so far as I know. It was melt-in-themouth tender when cooked.