• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Excess of Parsley

maggiethecat

The September issue of Gourmet has a recipe for Creamed Parsley based upon a recipe from Spring Restaurant in Paris that uses 12 cups of parsley. Sounds worth trying for something new and different.

Kay

I just found the recipe on Epicurious but there are very few details on how it should be served. Is it a soup? A sauce? A side dish?

1. Tabouli

2. Sundry till crisp, keep in tightly closed glass jar (wife's brother gives us a quart jar like this every year)

3. Get a dyhradrator and load up all 9 trays, save in glass jar.

4. Like someone else said, keep the stems, wrap and keep in freezer for bouquet garni or sache d'espice.

doc

The September issue of Gourmet has a recipe for Creamed Parsley based upon a recipe from Spring Restaurant in Paris that uses 12 cups of parsley. Sounds worth trying for something new and different.

Kay

I just found the recipe on Epicurious but there are very few details on how it should be served. Is it a soup? A sauce? A side dish?

The lead-in paragraph in the magazine, says it is a side dish, as in creamed spinach type.

Kay

Edited to add where paragraph was for clarification. Kay

Edited by kayswv (log)

• 12 years later...

h folks,  i have a huge amount of parsley...pounds...and am looking for some ideas in addition to tabbouli and drying some of it....any ideas appreciated...i hate waste ..thank you in advance

I would make a parsley pesto without the cheese, and freeze it in portions.  When ready to use a portion, that's when the cheese gets added. Great on pasta obviously, but potatoes and green beans as well.

I might make an Italian salsa verde - I think it also freezes well...

https://www.seriouseats.com/italian-salsa-verde-with-parsley-and-capers 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A childhood comfort food was my grandma's parsley soup. It used her garden flat leaf and was just tons of minced parsley in a roux base that she started with finely minced onion and margarine (a war holdover). Einbren like this  bhttps://www.kitchenproject.com/german/recipes/Suppe/Einebrennsuppe/index.htmDrying parsley to me is the same as pitching it - no real decent taste. I will also tie up bundles and freeze "as-is" to toss in liquidy preps. Imparts flavor subtly. Fish out before serving. If it is flat leaf it works well as a salad green. Tough stems can be frozen for above noted use. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was the late Bernard Loiseau, the Michelin 3 star chef in Burgundy.  Years ago, I had the pleasure of dining there and had his famous frogs legs with garlic puree and parsely sauce... this is what it looked like:

https://www.lcieducation.com/en/portfolios/students/37917/35381.aspx/

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, KennethT said:

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was the late Bernard Loiseau, the Michelin 3 star chef in Burgundy.  Years ago, I had the pleasure of dining there and had his famous frogs legs with garlic puree and parsely sauce... this is what it looked like:

https://www.lcieducation.com/en/portfolios/students/37917/35381.aspx/

i made the parsley jus and added it to sour cream for a dollop on a carrot cocnut soup and it was delish and beautiful

• Like 1