• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What recipe do you want to be remembered for?

cteavin

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

it's funny how we rely on some ready-mades because they're a lot better than we could possibly make on our own.

I'm like that with pie crust.  Pillsbury is my friend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I guess that mine would be anchovy dip. Two ingredients that I always have in my fridge. Takes five minutes to make and out the door. I never take it anywhere that I don't get asked for the recipe.

Could you please give the recipe?

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Could you please give the recipe?

It couldn't be easier. It is just cream cheese mixed with anchovy fillets or anchovy paste to taste. I have added dehydrated onion flakes or very finely minced onion but it isn't necessary. It just adds a little texture. I got the recipe over 50 years ago from a Danish chef that I worked with at the Hidden Valley Country Club in Reno. It was his most requested dish and he never would tell anyone what was in it.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It couldn't be easier. It is just cream cheese mixed with anchovy fillets or anchovy paste to taste. I have added dehydrated onion flakes or very finely minced onion but it isn't necessary. It just adds a little texture. I got the recipe over 50 years ago from a Danish chef that I worked with at the Hidden Valley Country Club in Reno. It was his most requested dish and he never would tell anyone what was in it.

So it is cold or heated?

6 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I usually let the cream cheese softened a little to mix and then chill it again.

So the dip to mouth vehicles of choice need to be sturdy - your picks?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

So the dip to mouth vehicles of choice need to be sturdy - your picks?

It depends on how much time I have to make it. Sometimes I make a cocktail loaf of rye bread, but good buttery cracker or potato chips with ridges are also good choices. There have been times when I have needed to bring something at the last minute. I grab a pretty dish, stop at the store for cream cheese and Anchovies and potato chips and wind up with the favorite dish at the party. Just don't be afraid to add too much anchovy.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2