• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Know Your Cut of Meat: This one ?

rotuts

On 6/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, weinoo said:

Maybe the terms pork collar, secreto in Spain, etc. etc. are all just fancier ways to call that topmost portion or frontmost portion of the shoulder?

I thought the secreto was in between the shoulder and belly like a pork skirt steak? At least according to Charcutería..

7 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I thought the secreto was in between the shoulder and belly like a pork skirt steak? At least according to Charcutería..

I think the issue is...it's a secret!

Per Raichlen...

There is no definitive answer. A butcher’s “secret cut” may depend on the butcher. This Spanish anatomy chart confirms my suspicions by labeling three disparate parts of the pig secreto or presa de paleta (see the cheek, shoulder, and front loin).

Per Second City Prime:

The secret is out! Our Pork Secreto is ingrained with layers of marbled goodness and flavor - ready for you to cook immediately. The pork secreto is cut from the outside of the pork shoulder which makes for an amazing cut of meat - with the consistency of a ribeye cap but the look of a skirt steak.

Per Otto Wilde: (who??)  

It is so mysterious, as the fibrous and fan-shaped muscle of the Spanish Iberico pig (Cerdo Ibérico) lies hidden between the back and back fat. If the butcher doesn’t cut it correctly, the cut is hardly recognizable which is why it gets its name Secreto.

And finally:

The Iberian special cut, which is known as “secreto” in Spanish, is a cut located in the back part of the loin next to the forequarters between the fat. It is the pig’s armpit.

My guess  - it can be almost anything!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?