• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A short travel blog of Greece: Pelion, Meteora, and Athens

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@shain 

there are three pics of

tables w red tablecloths 

I assume its the same establishment.

did you stop there , see the menu ?

Same place or maybe two close together. We didn't eat there, but it was best located for being included in photos.

We didn't eat there, because we had our mind set on another nearby place (sea below soon). But it seemed like a nice place, populated mostly with older locals having beers and having lunch.

Here it is on Google Maps (the dishes photographed looks quite good!) so you can make the moving arrangements.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

That's was our lunch at "Cardamo Oinomageireio".

The sign states that they "like stray dogs" and that's a feeding spot for them :)

PXL_20210526_112706411.thumb.jpg.8bd38e4278b95dbb736335b7c437a8c6.jpg

We had patzarosalata - a salad of cooked beetroot with thick yogurt which was only lightly tart, dill, a hint of garlic, olive oil, some nuts. Mixed for eating. A bit mild, but refreshing.

Grilled halloumi with sweet tomato jam and oregano. Very good cheese with a strong grilling flavor. The jam was quite tasty and a classic pairing with grilled cheese. Even though I'm not usually a fan of sweet tomato sauces and jams. 

Soft gigante beans with lots of lemon zest, gentle olive oil, sweet scallions, and a small amount of dill (the Greek seem to prefer sweeter olive oil, compared to the Italian green-peppery or the local sharp and bitter which I'm used to).

Grilled beef meatballs with herbs and a side of fries (fries are extremely popular in restaurants, and the Greek often refer to them simply as "potatoes"). I was told the meatballs were flavorful and tender.

And a local micro/craft pilsner "Local Streets" (both me and my father are more into beer than wine, and I personally prefer heavy reds and low acidity roses). It was a bit amateurish as far as craft beer goes, but had good hops. So while not exactly a pilsner, and not greatly balanced, it was still interesting to drink and enjoyable.

Complementary dessert - portokalopita. A cake made of phyllo sheets, yogurt, butter and eggs, soaked in syrup, boldly flavored with orange zest and some orange juice. The topping of toasted hazelnuts worked very well. It's a dessert I never had but always found intruding - what is the purpose of soaked phyllo in such a cake. The answer is that the phyllo maintains a bite not unlike that of stewed tofu skins, and holds to juices in the same way, quite different than that of either semolina cakes or baklava. It was however very sweet (as expected). The string orange flavor is a great way to finish a meal along with coffee.

PXL_20210526_114514886.thumb.jpg.ac5a9bd32792a09e9c9f48b65891bd25.jpgPXL_20210526_114622154.thumb.jpg.6b64037845835af54782e6428147c814.jpgPXL_20210526_115248521.thumb.jpg.86a87a7a18876dd2550d42124a5acae3.jpg

PXL_20210526_120213724.jpg

PXL_20210526_120222411.jpg

PXL_20210526_122618181.jpg

PXL_20210526_122655422.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

All enticing, The gigante beans have become quite popular my local delis where they are dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and oregano.  My olive oi preference is grassy/peppery but the fresh flavorful stuff is all good :)

• Like 2

Later that evening.

Cold coffee, a simple apple cake with raisins and lots of cinnamon. Beautiful location and view.

One doesn't have to ask for water when sitting at a restaurant or even just for coffee. Makes since with the climate.

It reminded me of Naples, where people were running around making coffee deliveries to the nearby vendors and shop owners. They were always holding trays with cups of strong espresso accompanied with a cup of water.

PXL_20210526_101727356.jpg

PXL_20210526_101739689.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Fantastic setting again. The cherries against their leaves scream eat me I am plump and juicy. Is that cold coffee made from instant or is it espresso? First kind of hot day here (71F) and I now feel the need for a similar glass.

• Like 1

Yes, those coffee drinks look amazing. I've never been to Greece, but noticed that French fries are on the menu at all Greek restaurants. I always thought it was a concession to American tastes. Yes, I always order fries at Greek restaurants.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I've always marveled at the fries in Greek restaurants (in the US).  Why are they so good?  I've seriously never been to a Greek place where they weren't excellent.  

I must admit that fries in the restaurants we've been to were mostly mediocre. Some were quite good (including those pictured above).

~ Shai N.

52 minutes ago, heidih said:

Fantastic setting again. The cherries against their leaves scream eat me I am plump and juicy. Is that cold coffee made from instant or is it espresso? First kind of hot day here (71F) and I now feel the need for a similar glass.

Those are frappes, so instant. It is more unique texture wise, so we had a few during the first days. Later we went back to espresso based drinks. The later seems to be the current trend among locals.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Sorry for the slow posting :)

A short drive down winding roads take you from the villages higher up the mountain and down to the shore.

The beaches on the Northern side tend to be more rocky and ridged, while the south have long sandy beaches.

Those photos are from the Northern shore section named "Parisena's beach" and the nearby area. It is adjunct to the more famous Chorefto beach, which is great for bathing, but makes for less dramatic photos.

The residents of the house over the beach sure are lucky.

PXL_20210526_155143733.thumb.jpg.299b6729c183602a9debce84f1505276.jpg

PXL_20210526_152308038_MP.thumb.jpg.484dbf0fb87e25415881a8fff900d7a0.jpg

PXL_20210526_151705142.thumb.jpg.c40fbccb4bd38da3c1dfbe78847e9988.jpg

PXL_20210526_152932335_MP.thumb.jpg.b49d478ff8fe1d107fab65f2787e8b8c.jpg

PXL_20210526_153450324_MP.thumb.jpg.e1df03538a0fe4161468d2c4451d3089.jpg

PXL_20210526_150632535.thumb.jpg.e1e3f058f6979efb70903aef6738399b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

The rock formations are stunning. I have ocean cliffs but not those beauful striations. Your posting pace is perfect. Otherwise we would be on viewing overload and not savor the images.

• Like 2

Dinner was a bit disappointing.

Feta saganaki - pan fried feta. Very strongly flavored cheese, with the natural funky notes enhanced by the heat, perhaps too much so for this application. It is coated with starch before frying, but could have been crsipier.  Topped with tasty honey and pistachios.

Squash pie, with cheeses and herbs. The filling was quite too mild in flavor, and under seasoned to my taste. The phyllo was OK, nice and rustic, but again not very crisp.

Eggs in local wild greens, mostly tasted of chard, and the eggs where fully cooked, which is a bit disappointing. Again, quite under seasoned.

Pork fried with peppers and feta. Was told it tasted good, but was a bit tough.

House red wine was OK.

Complementary dessert of tasty thick yogurt and very tasty quince "spoon sweets".

A bit of a shame, because the dishes seemed promising, but it felt like the kitchen is lacking in skill or care.

Apologies for the bad pictures, it was quite dark.

PXL_20210526_200923234.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.78faae419ea000c6c4efced951711693.jpgPXL_20210526_201018410.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.c9b0d181ab45ae489d0b04bef705d94b.jpg

PXL_20210526_201805826.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210526_201818635.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210526_204527303.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 4

~ Shai N.

Shame it was so disappointing because it does look appetizing except for those eggs!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looking on the bright side: can you tell us more about the quince "spoon sweets" atop the yogurt in that last picture? I'd like to know how that quince was prepared. It looks more like strips of jellied fruit than chopped or stewed preserves.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Looking on the bright side: can you tell us more about the quince "spoon sweets" atop the yogurt in that last picture? I'd like to know how that quince was prepared. It looks more like strips of jellied fruit than chopped or stewed preserves.

Those are cooked in sugar until just tender enough to cut with a fork/spoon. The resulting syrup is thick but runny. They eat a big like candied citrus peel. I think large pieces work well with the yogurt, because otherwise it tends to dim the fruit flavors. Like this you get a bite of quince, with a bit of yogurt, then some yogurt as a palate cleanser.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Having a good breakfast spread served to you with is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Apparently, we were the only guests at our hotel that day, and so the stuff opted to skip the buffet and instead serve us at the table.

Vegetables, nice cheeses, homemade bread and spanakopita, eggplants in rich tomato sauce, olives, fresh OJ, coffee, hard boiled eggs (not my 1st or 4th choice of egg prep method, but OK...).

We passed on the croissants, thankfully, because then we also got some fresh and warm loukoumades - slightly crisp yogurt doughnuts with honey and cinnamon. The honey (since there was some interest higher up the thread) is very good, but not much different than the wild flower honey I get at home, perhaps a bit sharper and less warm-spiced (I haven't had clover honey in 10+ years, so I can't compare).

PXL_20210527_062542151.jpg

PXL_20210527_062830334.jpg

PXL_20210527_062844434.jpg

PXL_20210527_072932679.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.

Wow especially if it was served on that lovely patio. The spanakopita looks so nicely brown and crunch?  Is that the thicker dough you mentioned earlier? The doughnuts you lucked into appeal though I'm not a sweets person. I know you have wonderful vegetables in Israel. How do these compare? YYou've made crave the eggplant tomato sauce dish. Little early for farmers market eggplant h

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Wow especially if it was served on that lovely patio. The spanakopita looks so nicely brown and crunch?  Is that the thicker dough you mentioned earlier? The doughnuts you lucked into appeal though I'm not a sweets person. I know you have wonderful vegetables in Israel. How do these compare? YYou've made crave the eggplant tomato sauce dish. Little early for farmers market eggplant h

It's the same pastry, very similar to the one from the day before, but this time mostly spinach rather than the wild greens, who tasted of chard and fennel. Those are more subtle, but still crunchy and delicious.

I'd say those tomatoes are on par with the tomatoes you get at Israeli farmer markets (generic vegetables in Israel are quite mediocre, supermarket veggies often worse).

~ Shai N.

3 minutes ago, shain said:

I'd say those tomatoes are on par with the tomatoes you get at Israeli farmer markets (generic vegetables in Israel are quite mediocre, supermarket veggies often worse).

Another illusion shattered

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@shain 

what do you mean  by generic vegetables ?

Vegetables bought at your average greengrocer or market, as opposed to farmers markets and high-end / boutique grocers.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

Another illusion shattered

😕 You can get great vegetables, if you care enough to spend a bit more time and money.

Still, I always envy the farmer markets culture of American cities, which seem to include a larger variety of specialty produce and of heirloom varieties.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.