• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I use Callebaut chocolates almost exclusively. A choice largely based on price but I wouldn't use it if I didn't like it even with the lower cost. I keep my chocolates in large plastic pails so I don't have the original packaging but the 811 is the 54.5%, right? It does fine for me for shelling. I have a slightly strange working relationship with all of the Callebaut varieties I use, they all feel like I'd like them to be thinner when I'm doing the shelling but the shells always end up nice and thin so I think it's just in my head. I need to work with some other chocolates at some point just as a comparison.

Thanks for the input! That's reassuring. 

Yeah, 811 is 54.5%. 

I found a 44 lb case of it for $188, which seems too good to be true, but the site doesn't seem scammy, so we'll see come winter when I order.

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

I use Callebaut chocolates almost exclusively. A choice largely based on price but I wouldn't use it if I didn't like it even with the lower cost. I keep my chocolates in large plastic pails so I don't have the original packaging but the 811 is the 54.5%, right? It does fine for me for shelling. I have a slightly strange working relationship with all of the Callebaut varieties I use, they all feel like I'd like them to be thinner when I'm doing the shelling but the shells always end up nice and thin so I think it's just in my head. I need to work with some other chocolates at some point just as a comparison.

Yeah, 811 is 54.5%. 

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier