• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher Knives

After mentioning my recently acquired butcher knife in the dinner thread, I thought to post about it.  However I could find no relevant knife thread.  I used it tonight for slicing chorizo for paella.  This blade fills a gap in my knife battery:

ButcherKnife06062021.jpg

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Hand forged bone chopping butcher's knife

That just might be the most frightening knife I have ever laid eyes on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Only sorta on topic, but I remember as a kid my extended family called all large knives "butcher knives".  I'm not at all sure if any of them had an actual butcher knife.  I'm pretty sure that my mother didn't.  For some reason, everyone had Cutco knives and utensils.  I wonder if Cutco even made a butcher knife back then?  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I raise you this.

TB1_jAb4xz1gK0jSZSgSuuvwpXa.jpg.36d0a42150abaaa37445602c3e8045a5.jpg

Hand forged bone chopping butcher's knife

Wood chopping too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scamhi said:

can I play too?

super sharp hybrid cleaver, chorizo doesn't have a chance.

IMG_4656.jpg

As much as I like my Lamson, I am not a fan of cleavers.  They scare me.  I've heard one too many stories.  I'll leave that stuff to experts.

Even so, I ended up in the emergency room one night after cutting chorizo for a pizza.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Only sorta on topic, but I remember as a kid my extended family called all large knives "butcher knives".  I'm not at all sure if any of them had an actual butcher knife.  I'm pretty sure that my mother didn't.  For some reason, everyone had Cutco knives and utensils.  I wonder if Cutco even made a butcher knife back then?  

I too remember large knives all being "butcher knives".  The recollection is dim however.  Once I sat in on a murder trial where the defendant had killed her husband with a butcher knife.  The fatal implement was on display but I did not inspect it closely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

My mom had a set of Cutco's with a slotted holder for all of the knives. She nailed the holder to the kitchen wall over the prep area. One of the knives was a Chef's knife. I know because a friend gifted me a cooking school "Knife skills" class and I didn't own a chef's knife at the time. So I borrowed my mom's Cutco Chef's Knife.

The same friend gifted me a set of Forschner knives soon after.:B

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Even so, I ended up in the emergency room one night after cutting chorizo for a pizza.

Mexican chorizo will keep you out of trouble

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Mexican chorizo will keep you out of trouble

Unless you undercook it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

The same friend gifted me a set of Forschner knives soon after.:B

The butchers at my dads meat packing plant broke down mostly sides of beef purchased from mid-west. Their tool belt had a stainless steel knife holder with an assortment but the main knife was a Forschner boning knife When the plant closed my dad got all the knives the Forschner salesman left behind. There are still a bunch in the package ones in the garage somewhere. I have a Wusthof block  - all stainless incl handle- somewhere - but I like the old guys. My iPhone is being odd so I can't get image of the larger one in the knife drawer. The one in back from my old blog is what I use. post-52659-0-96206600-1304439183.jpg

• Like 5

We never had a butcher's knife at home when I was growing up. The gamut of kitchen knives amounted to three - a bread knife, a green-handled cake knife and the "sharp knife", which was no such thing. It was a blunt paring knife.

Table knives were mostly of the normal variety, but I remember being fascinated by the grapefruit knives as a child.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

We never had a butcher's knife at home when I was growing up. The gamut of kitchen knives amounted to three - a bread knife, a green-handled cake knife and the "sharp knife", which was no such thing. It was a blunt paring knife.

Table knives were mostly of the normal variety, but I remember being fascinated by the grapefruit knives as a child.

Yes, the grapefruit knives!  (Not so good if you are murdering your husband.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, the grapefruit knives!  (Not so good if you are murdering your husband.)

Lucky I don't have a husband, but if I did, the butchers' knife would be a fine choice for any intended doing away with him.

I would love to get some grapefruit knives, but haven't seen them in years. Certainly not here, anyway.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Lucky I don't have a husband, but if I did, the butchers' knife would be a fine choice for any intended doing away with him.

I would love to get some grapefruit knives, but haven't seen them in years. Certainly not here, anyway.

Haven't seen any here either.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The women in my (Italian-American) family often expressed surprise that more husbands weren't found with butcher knives between their shoulder blades.  

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, MokaPot said:

I think Cutco did make butcher's knives. I did a search on eBay and there were lots for sale, including "vintage" ones, like this one:

1716994827_ScreenShot2021-06-07at12_11_43PM.png.eef8ee15329659a61b5d64776dbfc46e.png

That would be the Cutco meat knife, at least according to my mom. Notice the curve as it goes up to the tip of the knife. She'd use that knife for cutting up her round steak or whacking a chicken into parts.

Here's a photo showing most of what was in her Cutco set:

496252196_Cutcopartialset.jpg.161bae94a49bf39b6e396047dffc47e0.jpg

Not shown is the small paring knife that came with the set.

The Cutco Chef's knife is almost straight...the middle knife next to the first fork.

We'd buy my mom newer, better knives but she said she liked using the Cutco' because the handles felt better in her arthritic hands.

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver