• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Resistant Cookware

What is the best material for salt resistant cookware?  This query follows a baked potato discussion from the dinner thread:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161954-dinner-2021/?do=findComment&comment=2301122

I bake my potatoes in a bed of salt.  Every few years I needs replace my potato pan because the metal has corroded through*.  I know salt is not kind to aluminum or to stainless steel.  Glass for the application has its own set of issues.  Issues that I'd rather not imagine.

I don't want to buy anything new, but what about Le Creuset?  Any other thoughts?

*envision pounds of hot salt in a pan whose bottom is not there.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Line the pan with foil?

I believe aluminum foil salt corrodes very rapidly.

• Like 1

I’d go with (vitreous) enamel. You want to avoid chloride induced pitting corrosion and enamel should do the trick under your conditions (<300 oC, low to moderate moisture, minimal abrasion) ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancyH said:

Would parchment paper work?

Parchment paper should be safe, but at 425F the paper would darken and crumble and have to be replaced each time.

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

What about cast iron (no enamel)? Salt is recommended as a cleaning scrub for cast iron, so I'm guessing salt doesn't harm cast iron.

It definitely will. Chloride-induced corrosion is a product of time, concentration, water activitiy, temperature, pH and a few mitigating factors. (Wet) Salt & cast iron at elevated temperatures is not a good idea ...

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

What about cast iron (no enamel)? Salt is recommended as a cleaning scrub for cast iron, so I'm guessing salt doesn't harm cast iron.

Salt corrodes cast iron.  However cast iron is thick enough that it should be years before the bottom rusted out.

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

I’d go with (vitreous) enamel. You want to avoid chloride induced pitting corrosion and enamel should do the trick under your conditions (<300 oC, low to moderate moisture, minimal abrasion) ...

Something like this?  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

32 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Why would this be, Jo?

Shall we begin the recounting for some of exploding Pyrex? No idea what Jo's drama was. Oops see she posted  - drop issue.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been known to drop things.

But also I would think that two hours at 425°F would not be recommended for any glassware used in a domestic oven. 

edited to clarify -  this is how Jo makes her salt baked potatoes!

Edited by Anna N
To account for the 425°F times two hours (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, heidih said:

Shall we begin the recounting for some of exploding Pyrex? No idea what Jo's drama was. Oops see she posted  - drop issue.

Actually I also worry about exploding Pyrex -- however I have several pieces of Corning Pyroceram that should be ideal for the application.  And their white color would be pretty with the pink salt too.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, EatingBen said:

Umm, titanium if you can find a pan of sufficient size. Shouldn’t present an issue for salt corrosion. Unless it’s not pure titanium.

Another advantage of titanium is you don't have to worry about it melting.

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Another advantage of titanium is you don't have to worry about it melting.

My titanium plate has held my humerus together for years. Very stable non-reactive metal.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, heidih said:

My titanium plate has held my humerus together for years. Very stable non-reactive metal.

Oh, I am fond of titanium myself.  I just can't see it for potatoes.  At least for someone of my means.

I broke down and ordered the $15.99 amazon enamelware I linked above.  I figure if I ruin the pan it won't be a devastating loss.

• Like 2

@JoNorvelleWalker, how deep is this salt bed?  Are the potatoes buried completely or partially or just set on top?  Do you wet the salt or just dump it out of the box and use as is?
I saw a Gabrielle Hamilton recipe in the NYT where small potatoes are completely buried in wet salt + rosemary & pink peppercorns. Not sure that is the way you do yours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, how deep is this salt bed?  Are the potatoes buried completely or partially or just set on top?  Do you wet the salt or just dump it out of the box and use as is?
I saw a Gabrielle Hamilton recipe in the NYT where small potatoes are completely buried in wet salt + rosemary & pink peppercorns. Not sure that is the way you do yours. 

Maybe two inches.  Potato nestled on the top.  No, I don't wet my salt.  Salt is hygroscopic.  It absorbs water.  Which I believe is the whole intent and purpose of the salt bed.  I'll have to experiment with partially burying a potato.

However I believe Hamilton is after a no less delicious, though quite different result than Olney.  An attempt to elucidate Olney's salt bed method led to an equally queer culinary remembrance:

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/first/o/olney-reflexions.html?scp=33&sq=main%20dish&st=cse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1