• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Panade" in cookies: have you used this?

cteavin

When I was a kid there was a show called Remington Steel. In one episode, the man who created the calorie-free chocolate chip cookie was murdered, and all these years later I still think about that cookie. It's the Holy Grail, for me, anyway.

The other day I had some extra "de-watered" yogurt (think Greek yogurt) and on a whim I decided to use it place of butter in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. It was pretty good. Long story short, the tanginess from the yogurt really matches oranges and chocolate chips and I've made a few different batches with the expected cake like texture, but I wanna make it closer to gooey. Replacing the egg whites for yolks only takes me so far -- and adds calories...

I wanted to pick your brains: Hokkaido Milk Bread is made tender and moist without added fat by making a "panade" of milk and flour, basically a thickened paste they fold into the flour with the rest of the liquids. Has anyone here ever used such a method in cakes, cookies or other confections? Any thoughts of what might happen if used in cakes and cookies? 

31 minutes ago, cteavin said:

Has anyone here ever used such a method in cakes, cookies or other confections? Any thoughts of what might happen if used in cakes and cookies? 

Never done it -  sounds disgusting.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It is not really a panade. It is tangzhong, a water roux. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It would appear that you are going to have to do the experiments and report back. 

I very much like the breads I make with tangzhong - not sure if that is responsible for the tenderness or more for the shelf life though. 

Have you considered just under-baking a little and see what texture that gives you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It would appear that you are going to have to do the experiments and report back. 

I very much like the breads I make with tangzhong - not sure if that is responsible for the tenderness or more for the shelf life though. 

Have you considered just under-baking a little and see what texture that gives you?

I have. Underbaked it is closer to the texture I'm looking for but it doesn't hold together. 

• Like 1

The 'roux' creates tenderness by pre-gelatinizing some of the flour and not activating the gluten too much. You could do it for a cookie but I don't think eliminates the need for egg. When you replace egg in a  pastry / cookie you need to replace all its functions in that recipe. 

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

The 'roux' creates tenderness by pre-gelatinizing some of the flour and not activating the gluten too much. You could do it for a cookie but I don't think eliminates the need for egg. When you replace egg in a  pastry / cookie you need to replace all its functions in that recipe. 

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong here. 

I would agree. Eggs can be replaced with a variety of other things but ground flax is the one I've read most about. 

• Like 2

chia works as well in some applications. 

i agree that the flour/water mixtures of whatever stripe you wish to name won't work for a cookie, which requires driving more moisture out to get the desired effect. with all due respect to the op, this is something of a fool's errand unless you really get into some of the more novel technical ingredients

the closest to a low-ish calorie chocolate cookie that you can easily make imo are something like the flourless fudge cookies. here's a king arthur version of this recipe:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/flourless-fudge-cookies-recipe

if you were to replace the sugar with a combination of non-nutritive or at least low-calorie sugars, it works pretty well. that in and of itself requires some experimentation, though.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1