• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade yogurt (without an appliance)

Margaret Pilgrim

In an ongoing program of showing our grandkids that much of what you buy in packages and jars can be made at home, often better, we made yogurt without the aid of an appliance, the ancient descending heat method:

Boil water in a heavy lidded pot, like enameled cast iron or similar.

Bring milk to a simmer.   Let cool until you can keep your (clean) finger in it 10 seconds.
Add a spoonful of commercial yogurt to the milk and mix well.

Empty water from pot and place small jars in it. Fill jars with the heated milk.

Replace pot lid. Place pot on a folded blanket and wrap snugly.

Leave until it has cooled to room temp. Better, leave it overnight. The yogurt will be somewhat creamy but will set up more as it cools more in the refrigerator.

I used whole organic milk (1 qt) and organic plain yogurt (1 teaspoon). DELICIOUS product. Stupid easy. The hardest part is folding up and putting away the blanket

37010234340_7bff60e38c_z.jpg

37224534866_567370c221_o.jpg

• Like 1
  •  
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Thanks for this. I went through a period of making my own yogurt using an Instant Pot instead of the method you describe above. I finally stopped because (a) I didn't like the flavor as well and it didn't seem to matter which milk or yogurt I used as starter and (b) I got tired of trying to use all the whey, or of the guilt of throwing it away! How much whey do you end up with using your method?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hm...I get whey when making ricotta but none with yogurt.   

eta...aha...you are making Greek yogurt by straining yogurt?    We have just enjoyed it simply chilled and thickened to custard consistency., therefore no whey.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Hm...I get whey when making ricotta but none with yogurt.   

eta...aha...you are making Greek yogurt by straining yogurt?    We have just enjoyed it simply chilled and thickened to custard consistency., therefore no whey.   

Yes, I was straining it to Greek yogurt consistency. I'll try making it your way and see how I like it. I never could figure out why the taste was so unsatisfactory in mine. I suspect it has to do with the temperature and/or time I gave it in the Instant Pot.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Margaret Pilgrim Thanks for sharing your traditional simple method and kudos for the educational experience you are giving the grands. I grew up in the 70's with the now considered vintage Salton appliance. I wanted one but I went old school as you did. I am not particularly fond of the "Greek" firm yogurt so the other method works for me. 

I read about White Moustache in New York (yes I know home of Chobani) and was taken with their style. No opportunity yet to taste it but the descriptions linger. https://whitemoustache.com  @Smithy check out what they do with the whey.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2