• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cteavin

cteavin

I'm making a YouTube video this week on Oyakodon (oya = parent, ko= child, don=rice bowl) or Chicken and Egg over rice. I made (and ate) five today. As I was doing it, I wondered how I could change it to make it "American" but still keep the concept: Boiling/Poaching meat with egg and serving it over rice. I was wondering how to American-ize the flavors and wondered if any of you had any idea, humorous or serious. 

The dish is flavored with dashi, soy sauce, and mirin (and/or sugar and sake). 

Off hand I was thinking Chicken and Bacon, dashi, mirpoix or 

Chicken, bacon, beef broth, mirpoix. 

Any thoughts on what flavor profile or ingredients can "American-ize" a dish? (Your reply doesn't have to be just about this dish. I'm curious what the American flavor profile means to other people.)

cteavin

cteavin

I'm making a YouTube video this week on Oyakodon (oya = parent, ko= child, don=rice bowl) or Chicken and Egg over rice. I made (and ate) five today. As I was doing it, I wondered how I could change it to make it "American" but still keep the concept: Boiling/Poaching meat with egg and serving it over rice. I was wondering how to American-ize the flavors and wondered if any of you had any idea, humorous or serious. 

The dish is flavored with dashi, soy sauce, and mirin (and/or sugar and sake). 

Off hand I was thinking Chicken and Bacon, dashi, mirpoix or 

Chicken, bacon, beef broth, mirpoix. 

Any thoughts on what flavor profile or ingredients can "American-ize" a dish?