• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you identify this recipe?

cteavin

Hi,

I have been cooking since I was in grade school, so making something is largely instinct for me. I have an excellent record of throwing things together for a fantabulous dish, but very few things are new under the sun and so I assume the things I've thrown together have a name and are a part of some cuisine. Recently I started a YouTube Channel and I've started posting these 'recipes' and I really don't know what to call half of the videos I'm making. What follows is an example, does anyone knows what this is called because it evolved in my kitchen: 

1 recipe thick white sauce (standard butter, flour, milk with or without an enrichment of cream)

1 vegetable (fine minced broccoli or cauliflower or 1/4 of a kabocha steamed and partly mashed are my favorites)

Combine the vegetable with the white sauce after it has thickened to partly cook it and pour it into a baked pastry shell, cool and serve.

or

Combine the vegetables with the white sauce after it has thickened and bake in hot 190C oven for 40 minutes. 

To that original mixture I have various flavoring combinations including herbs, bread crumbs, cheese and/or white stock but the idea is the same thick white sauce, vegetable, pastry. My favorite thing to do is make it look like dessert and serve it alongside dinner. I don't assume I've made anything original, so does anyone know what this is actually called? 

kabocha pie.png

• Like 3

Vegetable tart

or

Kabocha and Cauliflower Tart (with béchamel). These kind of tarts are usually thinner & these are taller like a quiche but I think this would be a proper name 

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much like vegetable tart, or something like that. Talking of pies and baked goods, where do you guys order artisan bread, cookies, if you're ordering any? I've tried a lot of different stores, but Edelweiss store produces maybe the best german bakery fort lauderdale area - bread, cookies, challah rolls and bretzels, and deliver everything as fast as possible. I love such bakery stores, who possess themselves not just like an actual store of goods, but also as an online store, where you can order everything.

Edited by introoz1 (log)
  • Like 1

The version with pastry can be seen as a quite classic French tart (tarte aux légumes, if you feel fancy). Without the crust, it can be seen as a gratin dish (gratin de légumes).

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@cteavin, I looked at the wonderful recipe you provided for this tart on another thread (which I can no longer find). Am anxious to try it!

Do you ever pre-bake the pastry shell?

Maybe you saw it in this post, which calls for a pre-baked shell?

• Thanks 1