• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Egg Yolks - Quick Question...

TicTac

I was given a dozen duck eggs from a friend who recently started a farm.

While I have had duck eggs in the past, I have limited experience cooking with them and could not recall the last time I did.

I went to crack 8 of them just now and nearly all of them had yolks that were essentially malleable, they were so thick and dense!!

Is this normal?!

As a duck mom yeas ago I can share that they are thick/dense. May vary by diet. Silly question perhaps, but did you ask your friend? 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

As a duck mom yeas ago I can share that they are thick/dense. May vary by diet. Silly question perhaps, but did you ask your friend? 

Could not get a hold of her.  But I asked another relative that gets eggs from her as well and he said he has had similar experiences.

With the limited reading I did in the last 30 minutes, it seems it is normal for free range ducks who eat lots of high quality bugs and other proteins (which I know these buggers do) to have very thick yolks. 

They were delicious, rich and very 'eggy'.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TicTac said:

I was given a dozen duck eggs from a friend who recently started a farm.

While I have had duck eggs in the past, I have limited experience cooking with them and could not recall the last time I did.

I went to crack 8 of them just now and nearly all of them had yolks that were essentially malleable, they were so thick and dense!!

Is this normal?!

Yes. And they make the most marvelous custards you ever tasted.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

In my accelerated last minute research, I too read that duck eggs make the best baked goods/pastries/desserts. 

From said research it also suggested that the healthier the diet of the duck (natural - not processed) and the more bugs it eats, the thicker the yolks might become.

I was quite shocked and concerned at first, as any yolk I have experienced when poked would simply ooze out.  This one just held its shape!!!

And the shells are quite thick. My ex used to take our eggs to the ladies at the aerospace company and be rewarded with reportedly excellent baked goods. They never made it home to me. They were women from the South and familiar with duck eggs.

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

From said research it also suggested that the healthier the diet of the duck (natural - not processed) and the more bugs it eats, the thicker the yolks might become.

Maybe, but my eggs are from such ducks. They are totally free-range (I've met them). They eat plenty of grubs and are otherwise only fed natural, organic grains (also grown by my egg supplier).

I'm sure  there must be more to it than just that.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Maybe, but my eggs are from such ducks. They are totally free-range (I've met them). They eat plenty of grubs and are otherwise only fed natural, organic grains (also grown by my egg supplier).

I'm sure  there must be more to it than just that.

Age and breed factor in as you previously noted. Even a quick google search of "firm yolks in duck eggs" will bring up lots of discussion. Bottom line though for the OP they tasted good so all good.

• Like 1