• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks @liuzhou  I found the Guardian article quite fascinating.  How  certain food preparations begin, evolve, and disperse geographically can be a minefield for any serious researcher. 

Coincidentally, I was listening to BBC radio last night after I wrote that post and decided to let it rest overnight to mature before posting it!

The presenter of the show I was listening to was discussing "new food" in London and his interviewee mentioned an Onion Bhaji Scotch egg. He had brought one with him for the presenter to try. Not that they are new. They've been around for years!

The presenter said something to the effect of "I wonder if Scotland knows about this", obviously referencing the almost certainly mythical connection between the eggs and Scotland, and missing the much more likely Indian origin theory!

He did eat the Indian Scotch Egg and declared himself more than happy with it. He obviously couldn't hear me yelling imprecations at the computer (I was listening online).

I forget to mention this in my post, as planned.

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks @liuzhou  I found the Guardian article quite fascinating.  How  certain food preparations begin, evolve, and disperse geographically can be a minefield for any serious researcher. 

Coincidentally, I was listening to BBC radio last night after I wrote that post and decided to let it rest overnight to mature before posting it!

The presenter of the show I was listening to was discussing "new food" in London and his interviewee mentioned an Onion Bhaji Scotch egg. He had brought one with him for the presenter to try. The presenter said something to the effect of "I wonder if Scotland knows about this", obviously referencing the almost certainly mythical connection between the eggs and Scotland, and missing the much more likely Indian origin theory!

He did eat the Indian Scotch Egg and declared himself more than happy with it. He obviously couldn't hear me yelling imprecations at the computer (I was listening online).

I forget to mention this in my post, as planned.