• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

What British person has never eaten a pie?

They're on the menu of every pub that serves food (almost always with mash), available widely in supermarkets, butchers and service stations, and are a staple at Scottish football grounds. They are a popular dish to make at home, and you can often get them at late night kebab shops and chippies.

And that's only hot pies - Melton Mowbray pork pies enjoy their own protected geographical indication, and are widely available across the country.

This is a horrible slur on the excellent meat pie.

I think you need to re-read what I actually wrote. At no stage did I say that British people don't eat pies. I said the opposite.

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London, although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it.

My late wife was a Londoner, born and bred, and never once ate it, although she certainly ate and made pies. I've made steak and kidney pies here in China when I got nostalgic.

I only finally ate pie, mash and liquor on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

They're on the menu of every pub that serves food (almost always with mash), available widely in supermarkets, butchers and service stations, and are a staple at Scottish football grounds. They are a popular dish to make at home, and you can often get them at late night kebab shops and chippies.

And that's only hot pies - Melton Mowbray pork pies enjoy their own protected geographical indication, and are widely available across the country.

I think you need to re-read what I wrote. At no stage did I say that British people don't eat pies. I said the opposite.

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London, although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it.

My late wife was a Londoner, born and bred, and never once ate it, although she certainly ate and made pies. I've made steak and kidney pies here in China when I got nostalgic.

I only finally ate pie, mash and liquor on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

31 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I think you need to re-read what I wrote. At no stage did I say that British people don't eat pies. I said the opposite.

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it).

My late wife was a Londoner, born and bred, and never once ate it, although she certainly ate and made pies. I've made steak and kidney pies, here in China when I got nostalgic.

I only finally ate pie, mash and liquor on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it).

My late wife was a Londoner, born and bred, and never once ate it, although she certainly ate and made pies. I've made steak and kidney pies, here in China when I got nostalgic..

I only finally ate pie mash and liquor on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it). My late wife was a Londoner, born and bred, and never once ate it, although she certainy ate and made pies. I only finally ate it on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it). My late wife was a Londoner, born and bred and never once ate it. I only finally ate it on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for 20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it). I only finally ate it on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I did say that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it). I only finally ate it on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I think you need tor e-read what I wrote. At no stage did I say that British poeople don't eat pies. I said the opposite.

I said that few people have eaten the traditional dish of pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it). I only finally ate it on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Just now, jmacnaughtan said:

Uhhhh...

I think you need tor e-read what I wrote. At no stage did I say that British poeople don't eat pies. I said the opposite.

I said that few people have eaten the traditional pie and mash with parsley liquor, almost exclusively found in London (although most people there haven't eaten it either. I lived in London for20 years and never ate it once, not did I know anyone who ever mentioned eating it. I only finally ate it on a visit to England in 2001 when a friend here in China asked what it was like, so I obliged her by going  to find out.