• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, FlashJack said:

How naughty of you to talk of British sausages without referring to a lovely moment from Yes Minister in which Jim Hacker relates European (EEC) objections to the British sausage and displays his distaste for things European.

I'd forgotten that clip. Thanks.

Of course, what he was saying wasn't exactly true even then.

Under current regulations sausages labelled pork sausage (or any other named meat) must contain an absolute minimum of 42% of that meatmeat. Most contain much more.

Sausages labelled "sausages" without mentioning any specific meat can go as low as 32% - avoid them.

In both cases, it must be actual flesh and not that list which Hacker recites, including all the detritus of butchery.

I haven't eaten ćevapi since the mid-1980s. That was in Vienna, Austria.

liuzhou

liuzhou

26 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

How naughty of you to talk of British sausages without referring to a lovely moment from Yes Minister in which Jim Hacker relates European (EEC) objections to the British sausage and displays his distaste for things European.

Under current regulations sausages labelled pork sausage (or other named meat) must contain an absolute minimum of 42% meat. Most contain much more. Sausages labelled "sausages" without mentioning any specific meat can go as low as 32% - avoid them. In both cases, it must be actual flesh and not that list Hacker recites, including all the detritus of butchery.

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Under current regulations sausages labelled pork sausage (or other meat) must contain an absolute minimum of 42% meat. Most contain much more. Sausages labelled "sausages" without mentioning any specific meat can go as low as 32% - avois them. In both cases, it must be actual flesh and not that list Hacker recites, including all the detritus of butchery.