• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 6/3/2021 at 2:14 PM, nickrey said:

You should have tried growing up in South Australia. In summer, the temperatures often reached 40C (or 100F). The milk left out in the playground in bottles was horrid by the time we drank it at morning recess. 

Although it rarely reached 40℃ in Scotland, 30℃ was possible in summer and the same thing happened. Every week, two pupils were designated "milk monitors". Although many of my classmates were happy to get out of class, I hated to be chosen for this task. We had to colect the stinking milk from where it was sitting in the sun behind the school canteen. We had to carry the crates and visit each classroom and dole out a bottle to each kid.

The crates were heavy and cut your hands and the stink of rotten milk had me gagging the whole time. It marked me for life. I've never drunk milk since. I like cheese (even the smelly ones) and good yoghurt (usually home made), but that is my total dairy intake.

I drink my coffee black.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 6/3/2021 at 2:14 PM, nickrey said:

You should have tried growing up in South Australia. In summer, the temperatures often reached 40C (or 100F). The milk left out in the playground in bottles was horrid by the time we drank it at morning recess. 

Although it rarely reached 40℃ in Scotland, 30℃ was possible in summer and the same thing happened. Every week, some pupils were designated "milk monitors". Although many of my classmates were happy to get out of class, I hated to be chosen for this task. We had to colect the stinking milk in crates and visit each classroom and dole out a bottle to each kid.

The crates were heavy and cut your hands and the stink of rotten milk had me gagging the whole time. It marked me for life. I've never drunk milk since. I like cheese (even the smelly ones) and good yoghurt (usually home made), but that is my total dairy intake.

I drink my coffee black.