• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before.  Whilst I was staying at the home of my archeology professor at Oxford (who was, and Lord being willing still is, a decent Yorkshire cook) she warned to avoid British restaurant food.  She advised to patronize Indian and Chinese establishments only.

There have long only been two kinds of British restaurants in Britain. There are some restaurants selling excellent, high quality British food at less excellent high prices, while at the opposite end of the spectrum are cafés (more like American diners) which are cheap, cheerful and often low quality.

British people, when dining out, don't generally want British food. We eat that at home. It is more seen as an opportunity to eat something different. BBC Radio London not long ago did a survey of what nations' foods were available in restaurants in the city. I forget the exact number they found, but it was, I seem to remember, 80-something. Chinese, Indian, Italian and Thai are the top four favourites.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before.  Whilst I was staying at the home of my archeology professor at Oxford (who was, and Lord being willing still is, a decent Yorkshire cook) she warned to avoid British restaurant food.  She advised to patronize Indian and Chinese establishments only.

There have long only beeen two kinds of British restaurants in Britain. There are some restaurants selling excellent, high quality British food at less excellent high prices, while at the opposite end of the spectrum are cafés (more like American diners) which are cheap, cheerful and often low quality.

British people, when dining out, don't generally want British food. We eat that at home. It is more seen as an opportunity to eat something different. BBC Radio London not long ago did a survey of what nations foods were available in restaurants in the city. I forget the exact number they found, but it was, I seem to remember, 80-something. Chinese, Indian, Italian and Thai are the top four favourites.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

There have long only beeen two kinds of British restaurants in Britain. There are some restaurants selling excellent, high quality British food at less excellent high prices, while at the opposite end of the spectrum are cafés (more like American diners) which are cheap, cheerful and often low quality.

British people, when dining out, don't generally want British food. We eat that at home. It is more seen as an opportunity to eat something different. BBC Radio London not long ago did a survey of what nation's foods were available in restaurants in the city. I forget the exact number they found, but it was, I seem to remember, 80-something. Chinese, Indian, Italian and Thai are the top four favourites.