• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

49 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While what you describe is largely true, we in the US and elsewhere lived with rationing.   Yes, every member of the household had a ration book, coupons and tokens.    Red tokens for meat, blue for non-meat.   Odd-bits required fewer tokens, maybe were not rationed.   We ate things like beef heart, tongue.   Steak maybe a couple of times a year, like a family birthday party.   We dug up lawn and planted victory gardens, grew stuff on windowsills.   My mother saved "top milk", cream from unhomogenized milk, and churned small quantities of butter.    Other than that, there was  margarine which was not colored but white like Crisco.    Country and small town people fared better than city folks.    In Coastal California, we still had good if rationed produce.    But we did have tomatoes and onions and garlic and grew our own herbs.   I don't remember our food's being particularly bland.   

Yes, I know America had rationing too, as did other countries, but nowhere near to the same degree. The list of foods which were rationed in the US is much shorter. Virtually all food was rationed in Britain. Only vegetables, fruit, fish and bread went unrationed in Britain. In fact, the US was exporting food aid to Britain throughout. Britain had nothing to export!

Also Britain was in the war longer and rationing lasted longer.

liuzhou

liuzhou

43 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While what you describe is largely true, we in the US and elsewhere lived with rationing.   Yes, every member of the household had a ration book, coupons and tokens.    Red tokens for meat, blue for non-meat.   Odd-bits required fewer tokens, maybe were not rationed.   We ate things like beef heart, tongue.   Steak maybe a couple of times a year, like a family birthday party.   We dug up lawn and planted victory gardens, grew stuff on windowsills.   My mother saved "top milk", cream from unhomogenized milk, and churned small quantities of butter.    Other than that, there was  margarine which was not colored but white like Crisco.    Country and small town people fared better than city folks.    In Coastal California, we still had good if rationed produce.    But we did have tomatoes and onions and garlic and grew our own herbs.   I don't remember our food's being particularly bland.   

Yes, I know America had rationing too, as did other countries, but nowhere near to the same degree. The list of foods which were rationed in the US is much shorter. Virtually all food was rationed in Britain. Only vegetables, fuit, fish and bread went unrationed in Britain. In fact, the US was exporting food aid to Britain throughout. Britain had nothing to export!

liuzhou

liuzhou

25 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yes, I know America had rationing too, as did othercountries, but nowhere near to the same degree. The list of foods which were rationed in the US is much shorter. Virtually all food was rationed in Britain. Only vegetables, fuit, fish and bread went unrationed in Britain. In fact, the US was exporting food aid to Britain throughout. Britain had nothing to export!

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yes, I know America had rationing too, but nowhere near to the same degree. The list of foods which were rationed in the US is much shorter. Virtually all food was rationed in Britain. Only vegetables, fuit, fish and bread went unrationed in Britain. In fact, the US was exporting food aid to Britain throughout. Britain h ad nothing to export!