• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

56 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Anyway, to me, the great British food myths seem to be myths conjured up in the OP's mind, as I've never heard many of them.

But if we're looking at facts, not myths, it appears as if any number of posters in this topic agree that British food (not necessarily "product") needed some help.

The myths are well documented. Nothing to do with me. That someone has never heard of something doesn't mean it ain't so.

How can you never have heard of many of them? I've only mentioned two. Also,  I have backed up everything I have said with details which you seem to prefer to ignore. Your choice.

May I also point out that the "facts" you refer relate to the 1950s and 60s, which were 50 to 70 years ago. Things change in half a century.  I have never denied that food in Britain was dire for a short period from the mid-40s to the late 50s. I haven't mentioned it all. Yet.

As I have said before, I will give the reasons I consider for the bad reputation shortly. I will not be intimidated or bulied into doing so until I have finished the research I wish to do. I don't guess reasons.

It isn't me who is making things up!

liuzhou

liuzhou

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Anyway, to me, the great British food myths seem to be myths conjured up in the OP's mind, as I've never heard many of them.

But if we're looking at facts, not myths, it appears as if any number of posters in this topic agree that British food (not necessarily "product") needed some help.

The myths are well documented. Nothing to do with me. That someone has never heard of something doesn't mean it ain't so.

How can you never have heard of many of them? I've only mentioned two. Also,  I have backed up everything I have said with details which you seem to prefer to ignore. Your choice.

May I also point out that the "facts" you refer relate to the 1950s and 60s, which were 50 to 70 years ago. Things change in half a century.  I have never denied that food in Britain was dire for a short period from the mid-40s to the late 50s. I haven't mentioned it all. Yet.

As I have said before, I will give the reasons I consider for the bad reputation shortly. I will not be intimidated into doing so until I have finished the research I wish to do. I don't guess reasons.

It isn't me who is making things up!