• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Production volume - how many filled chocolates can you make?

Anthony C

29 minutes ago, Anthony C said:

Wow Jim... just took a look at your website... an amazing selection of fillings you have there. Don't think I could cope with that many. I struggle with my 18 standard flavours, 8 exclusive flavours for a customer, and 1 or 2 specials per month. You have over 100 delicious sounding fillings listed on your site... Bravo 👋

Thank you.  I haven't updated the list since I started doing a lot with inclusions (various cookies, etc.), but, to be honest, I couldn't stand to do this if I didn't have a variety.  And I am in a different situation from you and other professional chocolatiers.  I am retired, so do not have to depend on making chocolates for income; in addition, I make them once a month (except at Christmas); and, perhaps more importantly, I don't offer a choice of fillings--customers have to accept what I have in a particular batch (in essence, they have to trust my taste).  I make chocolates in my home kitchen (my state allows that, as do most U.S. states), meaning I wouldn't have a life if I turned my kitchen into a production facility.  If I were younger, I would build a chocolate kitchen in my back yard, but "if" is the operative word in that sentence.  And my final consideration is the community where I live.  It is a small city with tradition ruling the day, and most people just aren't willing to pay what chocolates cost.  That situation is changing as people from other areas are choosing to move here--most of my customers are the new arrivals, many of whom think my pricing is too low!  But I think the only chocolate shop in town, which makes only truffles, not filled or enrobed bonbons, is not overflowing with customers.

• Like 3