• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Brussel Sprouts Saga

Brussel sprouts are almost unknown in China. I'd never found them.

However, on May 20th, my birthday, I found some for sale online. Of course, I ordered some.

O1CN014nckuH1pKDxhnuWnr_!!0-item_pic.jpg_400x400.jpg.2392c040077a03480685d0db858b268e.jpg

By May 23rd, not only had they not arrived, but the website tracking service was showing no movement. They promise to ship within 48 hours. It was now 60 hours. So I contacted the sellers. No reply, but I was able to leave a message.

May 24th, I get the news that the package has been lost in transit. I ask them if it was in transit, why didn't the tracking say that it had been dispatched. I'm still waiting for an answer to that question. Anyway, they said they would re-ship them immediately.

May 26th Still no sprouts. Still no tracking information. I contact them again.

"Oh! It's been raining for two days, so we couldn't pick them! We are picking them now and will send later today!"

Yeah, right!

Anyway, later I'll update this mini blog of my sprouts adventures en route from Shanghai to me. If they ever get en route.

I was tempted to tell them where they could put their sprouts but we are only talking about $4 USD (plus $1.25 delivery) and it has become quite amusing to see what happens next.

I just hope they are here for Christmas dinner!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Frustrating! What they were waiting for the baby cabbages to grow? I've mentioned before that Amazon shipped my copy of Marcus Samuelsson's "The Rise" to stepmother in the desert. At least the tracking showed it and I was able to stop before it twisted their racist knickers. Or the Amazon delivery (picture sent) left on the ground at mailbox adjacent to busy road; a good long hike from the house.  Good luck! They are one of my personal favorite vegetables.

• Like 1

Well, at 19:21 local time, finally something happened. Tracking is showing that they have been picked up in Shanghai and shipped to a depot elsewhere in Shanghai to be forwarded to their next staging post, wherever that may be. Hopefully, I'll find out in the morning.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

May 27th.

According to the tracking report 00:03:35, my sprouts have left Shanghai and are on their way to Liuzhou with no intervening stops. I don't know how they are being shipped, but it it is unlikely I'll be hearing any more today.

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Well, one good thing about it, they hold up pretty well unless it's sufferin' hot there.

It's around 30 - 32℃ at the moment, so not as hot as it gets. But perishable items are usually shipped in these effficient insulating foam boxes with icepacks, which are good for 2-3 days - the most it takes most deliveries to arrive..

479030157_icebox.thumb.jpg.f25c4dd61eeccbd78ae77145db987d26.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

Saw what looked like a good Brussels sprout technique today. Marinate them in olive oil and lemon juice with salt, pepper and paprika, overnight. Then bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Saw what looked like a good Brussels sprout technique today. Marinate them in olive oil and lemon juice with salt, pepper and paprika, overnight. Then bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

I would normally roast or bake sprouts, but I am temporarily oven-less. When (if) the things arrive, I'll share how I cook them.

The method you mention does sound interesting.

40 minutes ago, kayb said:

I love, love, love Brussels Sprouts and will try your recipe next.  Ed?  Not so much, but he will eat them.

I have a funny Brussels Sprouts story.  (Don't often hear that line in a conversation.)  I once thanked my now departed Mother for introducing me to Brussels Sprouts when I was a child.  Well...she drew herself up and looked down on me and said:  "You never ate Brussels Sprouts in MY house" ...as if I had just suggested something vulgar.  I guess not.  I must just just bought them and tried them one day quite out of the blue. 

• Haha 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I love, love, love Brussels Sprouts and will try your recipe next.  Ed?  Not so much, but he will eat them.

I have a funny Brussels Sprouts story.  (Don't often hear that line in a conversation.)  I once thanked my now departed Mother for introducing me to Brussels Sprouts when I was a child.  Well...she drew herself up and looked down on me and said:  "You never ate Brussels Sprouts in MY house" ...as if I had just suggested something vulgar.  I guess not.  I must just just bought them and tried them one day quite out of the blue. 

"I love, love, love Brussels Sprouts and will try your recipe next"

Me too.  Thanks @kaybfor the suggestion.

• Like 1

bb23fde3d079c21b0314c462b01eac42.thumb.jpg.e2fd9d708f27d2755772cfd849105ed8.jpg

The trip from Shanghai to Liuzhou took 31 hours, 44 minutes and 13 seconds, according to the tracking - not unreasonable, I suppose. The package then hopped around Liuzhou for the next 3 hours, 44 minutes and 8 seconds before finally being dispatched from the nearest depot to me (in the next street to my home). 54 minutes later it was in my hands!

As predicted, they were wrapped in a styrofoam insolating box with an ice pack (which had almost completely melted). They are in perfect condition and will appear on the dinner thread tonight, all being well! I'll probably post them here, too!

sprouts.thumb.jpg.6a8374d7fb2433e17dd20026cd3082a6.jpg

• Like 13

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

bb23fde3d079c21b0314c462b01eac42.thumb.jpg.e2fd9d708f27d2755772cfd849105ed8.jpg

The trip from Shanghai to Liuzhou took 31 hours, 44 minutes and 13 seconds, according to the tracking - not unreasonable, I suppose. The package then hopped around Liuzhou for the next 3 hours, 44 minutes and 8 seconds before finally being dispatched from the nearest depot to me (in the next street to my home). 54 minutes later it was in my hands!

As predicted, they were wrapped in a styrofoam insolating box with an ice pack (which had almost completely melted). They are in perfect condition and will appear on the dinner thread tonight, all being well! I'll probably post them here, too!

sprouts.thumb.jpg.6a8374d7fb2433e17dd20026cd3082a6.jpg

Congratulations!

• Like 2

I'm actually rather surprised that Brussels sprouts are unknown in China, given their broad embrace of other brassicas. Seems like there might be an entrepreneurial opportunity there for someone.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm actually rather surprised that Brussels sprouts are unknown in China, given their broad embrace of other brassicas. Seems like there might be an entrepreneurial opportunity there for someone.

Well, obviously someone n Shanghai is trying. That's where I found 'em!

They'll have to work on their logistics, though to be successful. Two to three days for delivery anywhere in China is teh norm. Not 8 days.

Just last week I ordered something online at 10 pm (approx). It was in my hands by 2 pm the next day. And it came about the same distance as those sprouts.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Darienne said:

21 hours ago, lindag said:

"I love, love, love Brussels Sprouts and will try your recipe next"

Me too.  Thanks @kaybfor the suggestion.

Note: I have not actually tried this. Ran across it in a facebook post. OP also noted sprouts should be halved or quartered, depending on size.

I have some sprouts in the fridge. I suspect I'll give this a whirl this weekend.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@liuzhou

did I miss what you did with the sprouts?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

did I miss what you did with the sprouts?

I did use them in one meal which I posted in the Dinner topic on Sunday. In fact, you saw my post and "liked" it!

The remainder (about 2/3rd of them),  I vacuum packed and bunged in the fridge. I will use them again in the next day or two. In fact, you saw my post and "liked" it!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

@liuzhou

Forgive me. I was sure I had seen them but I thought it was in different thread than the dinner thread. I will blame it all on being decaffeinated at 7:30 on a Sunday morning. They look very good.

I had a bad experience with them a few years ago and haven’t been able to look at them again although they used to be one of my favourite vegetables. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog