• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

Back in 2006, after visiting the factory while in Chiang Mai, Thailand, my wife and I bought a bunch of carved celadon plates, bowls and a hand painted tea set (the dollar was really strong against the Thai Baht back then).  We've only used the tea set a few times just because it's so beautiful and we're afraid that constant use/washing will damage the paint - plus the tea pot looks rather delicate (even though it probably isn't) and we didn't want to risk damaging it either.

Rather than keeping it in a closet, we kept the set on a display shelf in the living room so we could at least enjoy it visually.

The problem is that the range hood in my old apartment sucked - or didn't, actually, so aerosolized grease landed practically everywhere except the bedroom which was closed off with a door whenever I was grilling or stir frying or basically doing anything.

We got around to unpacking the set yesterday and I carefully washed it in hot water using normal dish soap and then let it air dry on the drain rack. I used a fair bit of pressure, but I didn't want to use the green scrubby side.  After it had dried, there is still a thin film of dried grease in some spots.  Any good tricks/products to use to get it off that won't damage it?

20210523_084400_HDR.thumb.jpg.85fd9ea69a636154a4bb239a4e8f324e.jpg

I imagine the paint is tougher than it looks since it's baked on at like 3000 degrees but even still, I really don't want to take a chance.

KennethT

KennethT

Back in 2006, after visiting the factory while in Chiang Mai, Thailand, my wife and I bought a bunch of carved celadon plates, bowls and a hand painted tea set (the dollar was really strong against the Thai Baht back then).  We've only used the tea set a few times just because it's so beautiful and we're afraid that constant use/washing will damage the paint - plus the tea pot looks rather delicate (even though it probably isn't) and we didn't want to risk damaging it either.

Rather than keeping it in a closet, we kept the set on a display shelf in the living room so we could at least enjoy it visually.

The problem is that the range hood in my old apartment sucked - or didn't, actually, so aerosolized grease landed practically everywhere except the bedroom which was closed off with a door whenever I was grilling or stir frying or basically doing anything.

We got around to unpacking the set yesterday and I was carefully washed it in hot water using normal dish soap and then let it air dry on the drain rack.  After it had dried, there is still a thin film of dried grease in some spots.  Any good tricks/products to use to get it off that won't damage it?

20210523_084400_HDR.thumb.jpg.85fd9ea69a636154a4bb239a4e8f324e.jpg

I imagine the paint is tougher than it looks since it's baked on at like 3000 degrees but even still, I really don't want to take a chance.