• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battery failed for Kitchenaid KHB3581 immersion blender -- now what??

Smithy

Over in the Bamix topic, @dcarch wrote:

If you go to a construction site, you will notice that most power hand tools used now are all cordless rechargeable.

Lithium batteries and advanced DC motors are making these tools possible.

You are beginning to see cordless immersion blenders on the market. They are still expensive, but I think they will replace the ones you need to deal with a long plug-in cord. Yeah, you can even blend when you are cooking outdoors.

He is exactly right. In fact, I have a cordless immersion blender with attachments and have loved being able to use it without needing a power outlet.

20210522_155217.jpg

Trouble is, the battery failed. It's a very specialized battery because of its fit. So far, I can't find anyone to rebuild it, and I can't find a replacement.

20210522_155523.jpg

Kitchenaid discontinued this model last October and has no spare batteries. They say the battery isn't repairable, but perhaps I can find one from a retailer who still carries the blender. Batteries and Bulbs, a retail chain that sells replacement batteries and can rebuild many battery packs, told me they won't touch lithium-ion batteries. So far my efforts to find a replacement battery online have been fruitless.

So now I have a beautiful, expensive, useless immersion blender with attachments unless I can (a) figure out how to attach a 12v battery of the right wattage via wires - boy, won't that look dandy? or (b) find a replacement somewhere. I think it's very poor product support on Kitchenaid's part. I won't be buying from them again. I hope DeWalt and the other suppliers of construction site tools dcarch mentioned have better foresight, since those tools are ubiquitous. 

Ideas, anyone? Where can I find a replacement, or someone to rebuild this battery? 

• Sad 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wow!  A little googling around and it certainly seems that you are not the only one ready to tear out your hair. This was a mighty expensive hand blender. 

Edited to add

They are still available for sale on bestbuy.ca for a mere $345!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Smithy 

I don't think you are going to get anywhere

finding a replacement battery.

Id look for a used one on line

or try to figure out if those attachments

fit the newer KA rechargeable  

good luck

• Like 2

Having been stuck in a similar (non-culinary) situation re failed batteries in the past,

I now check carefully to see that any batteries are standard, replaceable and easily available types instead of custom jobs designed to tie you to that manufacturer. Sony is the worst offender that I know of. Nothing is theirs is standard.

Of course, that cuts me out of buying some things I'd quite like but that's better than ending up with an expensive toy I can't use.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@SmithyThe Li batteries inside the case are usually standardized (size and voltage) - but you have to crack open the case to get to them.  If you're lucky, the case is held together by screws which will make easy access.  If you're unlucky, it's been glued or welded shut. If you can get to them, you can get new batteries on Ebay. And if you're handy, you can get an inexpensive handheld welder to reweld the contacts - there's tons of YouTube videos showing it and it seems to work really well.  In fact, you might even be able to give it an upgrade using higher AmpHour batteries (of the same voltage) to give you more life between charges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@SmithyThe Li batteries inside the case are usually standardized (size and voltage) - but you have to crack open the case to get to them.  If you're lucky, the case is held together by screws which will make easy access.  If you're unlucky, it's been glued or welded shut. If you can get to them, you can get new batteries on Ebay. And if you're handy, you can get an inexpensive handheld welder to reweld the contacts - there's tons of YouTube videos showing it and it seems to work really well.  In fact, you might even be able to give it an upgrade using higher AmpHour batteries (of the same voltage) to give you more life between charges.

Good thought.

Contacts are probably soldered though, which is easier to do

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Good thought.

Contacts are probably soldered though, which is easier to do

If they're soldered then it's ridiculously easy, but for some reason, I had thought that most battery contacts were welded - it's much faster production wise and less heat (other than 1 small concentrated spot) to damage anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Totally agree - standard Li batteries in a "custom" case, problem is as said getting to them. Look for "industrial" batteries not "consumer" brands - no Duracell or Eveready - , AliExpress or other overseas markets are a good source.

!!!CAUTION!!! 

Li batteries are extremely dangerous - risk of explosion and fire - handle with care!

Ask Tesla

Proper handling should not make this a problem.

p

• Like 2

I got it apart. I have a battery part number. Maybe there's hope after all!

20210523_112259.jpeg

• Like 8

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Those are standard 18650 Li batteries - a local source would be a Vape shop as they are used extensively in Vaping devices. Really low cost and are what you need.

Again be careful. If the batteries are just "press fit" you're laughing, otherwise you may have to unsolder them and re-solder new ones polarity is important.

Just call them and tell them you need a Samsung 18650 - the brand isn't important.

p

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Make sure it is not the battery charger that is giving you the problem. 

2. Get a volt meter and measure each battery. Typically only one of the three batteries is bad, especially this battery pack does not appear to have a "balancing cell charging" design (cheap!).

3. Lithium cells are always spot-welded, but you can easily ply the weld open. The difficult part is soldering stainless steel. You need to get S. S. flux and low temperature solder.

4. There are tons of fake brand name 18560 cells out there. Buy carefully. Check youtube and user ratings. There is no need to get extra powerful cells unless you are replacing all three. The one weak cell in a series of three determines power rating (same as a link in a chain).

5. Another thing to look for, if you have a volt meter. Measure each battery (around 3.7v) and total volts. If you get total volt around 12V, then the blender speed control may be bad.

Definitely worth trying to repair.

dcarch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

I got it apart. I have a battery part number. Maybe there's hope after all!

20210523_112259.jpeg

I don't know what your willingness to work on such stuff is, but if it dosn't extend to resoldering battery packs, a few calls to cell phone repair places will find someone who will do it, probably pretty cheap. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, dcarch said:

Many battery manufacturers use the battery body color to indicate power. For instance, the Kitchenaid blue color cells should indicate 2000 mAH.

dcarch

But if you look at the label on the device, it says only 1.5 Ah... If there were a BMS, they could program it to undercharge the cells to maximize lifespan... but it doesn't looks like there is a BMS... 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Come to think of it, Some BMSs can go bad. When that happens, the cells can go below charger voltage and the charger will not charge a very low voltage li-ion cell. 

BMS can be very small for a few low power cells. The space between the three cells is more than big enough. I am installing a BMS system for my 24V LiFePo4 100A batteries for my solar panels.

dcarch

@cdh or @dcarch or anyone else who knows but hasn't used the term yet, please clarify. "BMS" = what, Battery Management System? 

Quote:

"A BMS is defined as an electronic system that manages a rechargeable battery (single cell or battery pack) by monitoring its state, calculating secondary data, reporting that data, protecting the battery, controlling its environment, and/or balancing it."

Basically, it's a buffer between the battery and its load which keeps both happy - as per your pix it does look like there's some electronics present (the circuit board) so that might be what that is. I wouldn't sweat it, just replace the batteries and enjoy the rest of your KA's life.

p

• Like 1

This is just a comment on KitchenAid products in general.  I had a KA mini chopper which I loved because it was the only mini chopper that came with a blade that sliced on one side, shredded on the other.  The little plastic thing where the top attaches to the work bowl broke off and I went to my favourite kitchen store to order a replacement.  Much to my surprise, I found out that KA does not stock much of anything in the way of spare parts.  This was some years back.  I kept the motor part.   Or I should say, John kept the motor part  and I bought a Cuisinart mini chopper (no slicing/shredding blade).   Our condo building recently held one of those "get rid of what you don't want" days and lo and behold, while I was nosing around i found my old prep machine's twin.  The thing works and I now have a new-to-me work bowl.  Ever since I found out they don't stock repair parts I have switched my allegiance to Breville and in some cases Cuisinart.  My kitchen store guy says they always have parts.  No more KA for me.

20210524_202757.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

@cdh or @dcarch or anyone else who knows but hasn't used the term yet, please clarify. "BMS" = what, Battery Management System? 

Let me put it this way, a BMS is like a nutritional doctor for your whole family (battery pack).

The doctor will not allow any member to overeat or under eat, based on each's physical capacity. Work load is limited based on strength and the doctor will stop work if  temperature gets above normal (BMS has temperature sensor).

dcarch

• Thanks 2

I use my doctors for my blood pressure and my shitty back.

if I had this problem with a Kitchen Aid stick blender, I’d throw it in the garbage and buy a Breville. (If I were @liuzhou, I’d buy a Bamix, I guess).

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

This is just a comment on KitchenAid products in general.  I had a KA mini chopper which I loved because it was the only mini chopper that came with a blade that sliced on one side, shredded on the other.  The little plastic thing where the top attaches to the work bowl broke off and I went to my favourite kitchen store to order a replacement.  Much to my surprise, I found out that KA does not stock much of anything in the way of spare parts.  This was some years back.  I kept the motor part.   Or I should say, John kept the motor part  and I bought a Cuisinart mini chopper (no slicing/shredding blade).   Our condo building recently held one of those "get rid of what you don't want" days and lo and behold, while I was nosing around i found my old prep machine's twin.  The thing works and I now have a new-to-me work bowl.  Ever since I found out they don't stock repair parts I have switched my allegiance to Breville and in some cases Cuisinart.  My kitchen store guy says they always have parts.  No more KA for me.

20210524_202757.jpg

This is why I love and haunt flea markets.    The secondary market holds a treasury of obsolete parts.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.