• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patti

patti

Maybe I need to change the title of the thread to, “Feeding People with Challenging Personalities,” because not all of the stories are about people with special dietary needs.

We were on a field trip to a folk life village. After a guided tour, the group had lunch at a small restaurant on-site. That day, the restaurant ran out of biscuits before my entire group was served. The last four or five people received some other bread item, but I don’t recall what it was.  

One lady in the group called me over and said she really wanted a biscuit. I told her the kitchen was out of biscuits. 

“I want my biscuit.”

Her friend nervously offered to share her biscuit.

“I want my own biscuit.”

The friend offered her the entire biscuit, insisting that she have it. Nope.

The server walked up and apologized. “Ma’am, I’m so sorry. We had an unexpected group who came in for lunch earlier, and we’re out of biscuits.”

“I. WANT. MY. BISCUIT!”

The worst part is, she was rewarded for her embarrassing behavior. A few minutes later, the server came back out and said if we could wait a little while, they’d just put a batch in the oven, and anyone who’d missed out on a biscuit could have one.

I hope she looks back on her childish behavior with utter shame.

But they did have damn good biscuits.

patti

patti

Maybe I need to change the title of the thread to, “Feeding People with Challenging Personalities,” because not all of the stories are about people with special dietary needs.

We were on a field trip to a folk life village. After a guided tour, the group had lunch at a small restaurant on-site. That day, the restaurant ran out of biscuits before my entire group was served. The last four or five people received some other bread item, but I don’t recall what it was.  

One lady in the group called me over and said she wanted a biscuit. I told her the kitchen was out of biscuits. 

“I want my biscuit.”

Her friend nervously offered to share her biscuit.

“I want my own biscuit.”

The friend offered her the entire biscuit, insisting that she have it. Nope.

The server walked up and apologized. “Ma’am, I’m so sorry. We had an unexpected group who came in for lunch earlier, and we’re out of biscuits.”

“I. WANT. MY. BISCUIT!”

The worst part is, she was rewarded for her embarrassing behavior. A few minutes later, the server came back out and said if we could wait a little while, they’d just put a batch in the oven, and anyone who’d missed out on a biscuit could have one.

I hope she looks back on her childish behavior with utter shame.

But they did have damn good biscuits.