• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Times recipes

Please excuse me if I rant for a second. I am awfully tired of clicking on a New York Times recipe, only to discover it's behind a paywall. We have a digital subscription, and a few years ago I grudgingly paid a separate fee for the crossword puzzle, but I'm annoyed that many (most) of the recipes I'm interested in are unavailable. I wonder if those same recipes are available in the printed version, in which case I feel discriminated against. Digital subscriptions free the company from the costs associated with printing and distributing the print version, not to mention what happens to the paper when it's discarded. 

Has anyone else bumped up against this annoying problem?

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Just a thought...   I think clicking on a NYT recipe always takes me to the mobile app to view it. I am pretty sure I am signed into the app using my digital subscription. This may not be of any help  in your case, especially of you are not on a mobile device, but what the heck, it might be a solution.

Edited by BetD (log)

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

I don't know, but the web site says:

The Basic Digital Access Subscription does not include e-reader editions (Kindle, Nook, etc.), NYT Games (the Crossword) or NYT Cooking. 

Maybe an upgraded digital subscription is a better bet. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't know, but the web site says:

The Basic Digital Access Subscription does not include e-reader editions (Kindle, Nook, etc.), NYT Games (the Crossword) or NYT Cooking. 

Maybe an upgraded digital subscription is a better bet. 

That's correct.  My digital subscription is the "all access" one which includes Cooking and Crosswords.

11 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Aha--that may be the answer. I honestly don't know which subscription level we have--my husband did the ordering several years ago. I'll check it out--thanks for the responses.

One thing you might do is cancel that subscription (good luck with that!)

And then, under a different email address, they have special deals for $4 a month (I think) for full digital access (which lasts a year, I think).

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?